Does 2.5mm make a difference?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slow down

I'm thinking about switching my best bike to a compact, but I have a grey Centaur groupset and the only grey Centaur compact chainset I can find has 175mm cranks, where I normally ride 172.5mm. Does the 2.5mm really make any difference, or will I not notice?
Or does anyone know where I could get a 172.5mm grey Centaur compact chainset from?

I've had the same thing on some of the bikes I've had in the past and I never noticed the difference (if that helps), though I could have adjusted the seat post and forgotten.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Depends...
I'm happy on 170 or 172.5 (apparently optimal length for me), but could not get-on at all with the 175's I had on my previous steed, was just 2.5mm too far.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
It can depend on how tall you are, allegedly.

i've ridden 170 through to 180 and all have been fine. i did find spinning a 170 a tad tiring though.
IIRC there is some site that has loads of measurements to see if certain size cranks will be ok for leg length.

OP
OP
S

slow down

Cheers - I may give it a try. I can get the 175 chainset for £40 (just need to remember where I saw it :thumbsup:) so not that much of a gamble I guess.

Top Bottom