Does a left on kettle still burn power and if so how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
But if it's still burning power,surely the elements would burn themselves out? I remember the old electric kettles that didn't have a turn off switch. If left on the elements would be black and burnt out by the time you realised it'd been left on quite a while. These new ones don't burn out,so i'm assuming they turn themselves off when there's no water in
That has been explained above (thermal cutouts).

If you don't believe that the kettle is using a lot of power before the cutout clicks, pour half an inch of water in and listen to it fizzle and splutter.

My kettle is similar to yours in operation and I have done the same thing from time to time.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
When you make a coffee add some cold water to the kettle to take the water off the boil. Fill the kettle with cold water while you're about it and put it back on its base. If it automatically boils again, you need a new kettle.

I've got an electronic kettle that I picked up at Aldi. You can adjust the kettle's stopping point below boiling, 90 degrees would probably be about right for coffee. It works well.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Actually, I've gone back and re-read the OP, and I've found the root cause of the problem.
Stop drinking instant coffee.
:thanks:
I would "like" this, but I can't see any mention in the OP that the coffee is instant. Cafetiere and Aeropress coffee both require heating water in a kettle.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Since a simple "It is a bad idea, don't do it!" doesn't seem to be enough, I have just done it deliberately with my kettle and can confirm that it does get very hot, very quickly! After 5 seconds I poured half a mug of cold water into the kettle and the water reacted violently to the hot element. I don't intend to repeat the experiment until I eventually burn the kettle out, but I think eventually the element would fail despite the thermal cutout, because it takes a while for the cutout to operate and the element would be overheating during that time.

classic33

Leg End Member
But if it's still burning power,surely the elements would burn themselves out? I remember the old electric kettles that didn't have a turn off switch. If left on the elements would be black and burnt out by the time you realised it'd been left on quite a while. These new ones don't burn out,so i'm assuming they turn themselves off when there's no water in
The older, larger ones, come fitted with a spring loaded pin that pushes the mains lead out of the socket, to prevent a fire.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's also receiving signals from aliens in space. best cover it in tin foil after use.
Its talking to the toaster.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Just boil the water. Your coffee will be fine. Unless it's instant in which case it will be rank whatever you put on it so it still doesn't matter.

snorri

Legendary Member
. Show us a picture of your kettle and let's see if we can spot where the click happens.
Sorry to disagree, but I don't think a picture would give us sufficient intelligence in order to accurately assess the situation, a picture would not enable us to hear the click.
If Accy could set up a couple of video cameras (with audio) giving a split screen display showing the kettle and his electric meter I reckon we could resolve this once and for all.

Top Bottom