Does a left on kettle still burn power and if so how much?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
Cooling down and contracting.
I'm going to have to confess. I'd left the damn thing on again.:blush: I think i've sussed why this is happening. The on switch red light doesn't stay on when the kettle has been left on by mistake. So it's still on while i'm thinking it isn't, because the red light's not on.:unsure:

The kettle is a "smart price" one. I think i've lost the money i saved in buying a cheap kettle by using about 20 quid of electric so far, leaving the thing on!

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I'm going to have to confess. I'd left the damn thing on again.:blush: I think i've sussed why this is happening. The on switch red light doesn't stay on when the kettle has been left on by mistake. So it's still on while i'm thinking it isn't, because the red light's not on.:unsure:

The kettle is a "smart price" one. I think i've lost the money i saved in buying a cheap kettle by using about 20 quid of electric so far, leaving the thing on!
You said that it was NOT on the stand!

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
You are over-thinking this (or perhaps under-thinking it) ... Just keep the kettle well away from the base/stand until you actually want to boil some water! :okay:

As for the light not working ... perhaps that is the first bit of the kettle that you have managed to burn out? :laugh:

The kettle is now at the other side of the kitchen,about 5 yards away from the base. i think it's safer over there!:smile:

keithmac

Guru
20170613_073220.jpg

Buy one that automatically clicks off when removed from the base and get into the habit of always leaving some water in the kettle (up to min mark).

Our Morphy Richards wasn't expensive and auto-cuts when lifted. Handles hard water limescale ok as well..

It's communicating with the mother ship.
Yes it has been activated through the internet of things and is currently playing its part in a denial of service attack on a well known corporation.

Chromatic

Legendary Member
You need to approach this problem from a different direction @Accy cyclist , to save money on all the wasted electricity, throw your existing kettle away, buy an AGA cooker and a new AGA kettle, problem solved, no more wasted electricity, unless you buy an electric AGA, then you're almost back to square one but at least you wont have to worry about the kettle, or something.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
get into the habit of always leaving some water in the kettle (up to min mark).

I've always emptied the unwanted boiled water down the sink,as i think it's useful for getting rid of any grease lurking down the plughole. I'm going to try and get out the habit and keep the water in the kettle. I remember my dad who was supposed to be a stickler for saving money, had a bad habit of filling and boiling a kettle just to make one cup of tea or coffee. Then he'd just leave the remaining water(about 1 litre) to cool off. That was a waste to me,so that's why i developed the waste not want not,pour it down the sink to get rid of grease etc habit. Though i never fill the kettle to the top like he did. I always try to judge the right amount. When i say i pour the unwanted water down the sink,it only amounts to about half a cup.

OP
OP
Accy cyclist

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
As it's accy the assumption it's instant more than likely correct :laugh:
No it's that ground stuff you're supposed to put in one of these.
ware-6-cup-italian-style-stove-top-coffee-percolator-argon-tableware-percolator-10198043910_800x.jpg

I haven't got one of those,so i just pour boiling water on the stuff,leave it till the bits settle,then stir it again and add milk. You do get the occasional floater,but it's not that bad. Someone who came to visit the other day left the brew i'd made for them.,saying "Oh,it has bits floating on top" I said to them,imagine you're in the trenches the night before the Battle of the Somme and that was in front of you. You wouldn't be worried about little bits of coffee floating on top then would you?!:headshake:

Top Bottom