Does a 'TomTom' exist for bikes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
They all replace each other eventually. If you know where to look you can get genuine maps free, I'm not going any further with that comment in public :smile:

My experience of OSM maps is a sour one. Nobody maps NI so the house I've lived in for 25years didn't exist.

You didn't win?

OP
OP
vickster

vickster

Legendary Member

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OpenStreetMap-maps are free, produced by open source collaboration & available for use, editing, conversion into various formats.... Plenty of websites (Bikehike, Bikeroutetoaster to name but two) can use OSM cycle routing but display maps from Google/OS/other sources, which works well, generally.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
705 was replaced by the 800, which in turn has just been replaced by the 810. All three can use OSM instead of Garmin's various options. AFAIK, OS mapping is for 800 & 810 only, but it's not the best option for road use.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
So, how are you finding it?

I'm in the same spot, i want a gps to show me the way when exploring a little, but mostly for uploading to strava.

Which is to say, day to day i ride the same route so dont need a map, just a log. But at weekends i tend to want to go on longer rides into the unknown and need a map.

I like the sound of the 705, not sure that the touch screen on the 800 is worth it, or even better (gloves and such).

So, hows the 705 holding up?

T.M.H.N.E.T

So, how are you finding it?

I'm in the same spot, i want a gps to show me the way when exploring a little, but mostly for uploading to strava.

Which is to say, day to day i ride the same route so dont need a map, just a log. But at weekends i tend to want to go on longer rides into the unknown and need a map.

I like the sound of the 705, not sure that the touch screen on the 800 is worth it, or even better (gloves and such).

So, hows the 705 holding up?
800 screen works fine with gloves.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
800 screen works fine with gloves.
Can i ask you something else then ?

My phone app detects lack of movement and deducts this from the total ride time, am i right that i need to stop and start a garmin if i stop for an extended time (cake stops). I hear beeps from garmin users on group rides, is this a reminder to hit "go"

I just leave my phone app running all day (or night if its a fridays run), problem is after 6 hours the phone dies. Ifmi have to stop and start a garmin, maybe i'm better just doing that on the phone app and extending battery that way?

Its certainly easier to upload to strava from a phone, its a single click

T.M.H.N.E.T

My phone app detects lack of movement and deducts this from the total ride time, am i right that i need to stop and start a garmin if i stop for an extended time (cake stops)
You have options.

Set "Auto-pause" which will completely stop your timer for that ride when it detects speed lower than your set figure (mine is 3mph) So my 800 will pause if I am doing less than 3mph.

Turn off auto-pause which will rely entirely on the user remembering to press start and stop.

If you are following a loaded course and want to power the unit down at a stop - just turn it off. But you need to press start before you start again. (as you have already triggered auto-pause you need to wake it up)

You can also lock the screen and stick it in your pocket.

I hear beeps from garmin users on group rides, is this a reminder to hit "go"
One of three things.

ANT+ sensors pairing

Auto-pause telling you it has paused

The unit telling you it has sensed movement

Andrew_P

In between here and there

My phone app detects lack of movement and deducts this from the total ride time, am i right that i need to stop and start a garmin if i stop for an extended time (cake stops). I hear beeps from garmin users on group rides, is this a reminder to hit "go"

I just leave my phone app running all day (or night if its a fridays run), problem is after 6 hours the phone dies. Ifmi have to stop and start a garmin, maybe i'm better just doing that on the phone app and extending battery that way?

Its certainly easier to upload to strava from a phone, its a single click
You will struggle to pick up an old 705 at under £140, I think Gaz bought a new 800 for £237 from Handtec. I would pay the £237 well worth the extra £100. Also factor in with the 705 it will most likely be used, if it well used it will need a new battery at some point which you can replace but it is not designed to easily done at home.

I have owned both and so far the 800 is leaps ahead. Much more reliable on elevation, grabs the satelites quicker and the map view looks better, altohugh I never loaded the proper maps on the 705 so a bit unfair on that point.

The other bleeping noise you may well be hearing on a club run would be the lap timer, which is optional to have on, and be set at what ever distance you want but is preset at one mile. It times each mile and flashes it up.

Top Bottom