Does anybody believe that dental hygiene has an effect on overall health?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm extremely fastidious about dental hygiene and I'm also in pretty good health. No definite link, of course, because I'm also the right weight, I eat carefully and I keep fit. Most would agree that a person who cares for their teeth will also care for their body.

But.... I can't help thinking that with bad dental hygiene you'll have a mouth full of bacteria, some of which you will swallow - we're talking about rotting food here. Okay, the stomach acid deals with those but I wonder how much that cocktail of bacteria can affect overall health? Is poor dental hygiene actually contributing to many of the illnesses we suffer for no apparent reason? How long will it be before somebody actually sets up a study and discovers there's a link?

Thoughts?

Paul99

Über Member
I'm extremely fastidious about dental hygiene and I'm also in pretty good health. No definite link, of course, because I'm also the right weight, I eat carefully and I keep fit. Most would agree that a person who cares for their teeth will also care for their body.

But.... I can't help thinking that with bad dental hygiene you'll have a mouth full of bacteria, some of which you will swallow - we're talking about rotting food here. Okay, the stomach acid deals with those but I wonder how much that cocktail of bacteria can affect overall health? Is poor dental hygiene actually contributing to many of the illnesses we suffer for no apparent reason? How long will it be before somebody actually sets up a study and discovers there's a link?

Thoughts?
Glad you are now up to speed:okay:

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/dentalhealth/Pages/gum-disease-and-overall-health.aspx

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I was told by my dentist 40 years ago that if you didn't brush your teeth then all the bad germs will make not only make your teeth go bad but make you ill too.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I hate to say it, but I have a rotten tooth which needs to come out and I am pretty sure that it IS affecting my overall health. I am going to have to overcome my dental phobia and get it pulled. :eek:

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Yuk! I had a rotting tooth and it tasted disgusting and made my breath smell awful.

vickster

Legendary Member
Find a good private dentist to tug it - you are paying for them to take their time and be gentle, and use the best technology and newest drugs. That said my last extraction of a wisdom tooth was NHS and it was ok

(other than the boot print on my chin....joke :laugh: )

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
In days of old, poor dental health was a notable killer.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I hate to say it, but I have a rotten tooth which needs to come out and I am pretty sure that it IS affecting my overall health. I am going to have to overcome my dental phobia and get it pulled. :eek:
I have the same issue, I need to get it done. I don't think it's losing me any friends or snogs at the moment ....

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Er... yes.... in the days when I was a student and didn't take care of myself. I become more fastidious as I grow older.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Find a good private dentist to tug it - you are paying for them to take their time and be gentle, and use the best technology and newest drugs. That said my last extraction of a wisdom tooth was NHS and it was ok

(other than the boot print on my chin....joke :laugh: )
I think I have found the right dentist. Now I need to find the money to pay for the work, and the nerve to make the appointment!

I have mentioned before why I have this damn phobia ... I didn't get a boot print on my chin, but I did have bruises on my chest from the sadist's dentist's knee, and bruises on my cheeks from him pulling on my jaw to try and prise it open!

If you thought Laurence Olivier was scary in Marathon Man, you should have been me as a small child on the receiving end of that swine's butchery. Drilling out nerves in root canal work without anaesthetic, continuing with it after I fainted, so I eventually came round soaked in sweat, confused and terrified with the bloody drill still carving away, then him screaming at me and trying to force my jaw open after I clamped it shut in terror! :angry:

I don't think it's losing me any ... snogs at the moment ....
Chance would be a fine thing ... MInd you, it certainly would kill my love life if I had one! :whistle:

Top Bottom