Does anybody make recessed brake centre nuts in stainless steel?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
It seems logical, since they spend their lives in wet countries immersed in salty muddy water and eventually they rust and expand and get stuck down the hole..... grrrr.

Heigue'r

Veteran
You can get them in titanium,not sure about stainless

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Smear them in vaseline. Makes anything stainless! I do it to all the chromed steel fittings before winter, and just wipe it off in spring.

12boy

Guru
The only metal parts I don't grease or coat with anti-seize is the contact between square BB spindle and crank. Stainless would be nice, though.

It seems logical, since they spend their lives in wet countries immersed in salty muddy water and eventually they rust and expand and get stuck down the hole..... grrrr.
A couple of times (too often) I have had to uncable the brake and use it as a better lever than the hex key,

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Mine unscrewed perfectly and the thread was clean but the cylindrical nut, although it turned, was stuck solid in its pit and took some beating with an old bolt and a hammer to push it out.

20191226_145631.jpg

Last edited:

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It's easy to remember to grease the threads, but also easy to forget about the other side.

My example was the loose cup on a UN72 bottom bracket. I greased the threads on the outside of the cup, and the frame threads, but didn't put anything on the inside of the cup where it supports the cartridge, which subsequently seized. Sufficient grunt eventually unscrewed it, but the cartridge came out with the formerly loose cup, the supposedly fixed flange having been pulled off the other end.

robgul

Legendary Member
Simple solution - fix a piece of weatherproof tape over the recess (something like helicopter tape) to form a patch so the water doesn't get in - that's the recesses at the back of the bolts AND, if there is one, under the front fork crown.

Works for me

Rob

Nightjar

Simple solution - fix a piece of weatherproof tape over the recess (something like helicopter tape) to form a patch so the water doesn't get in - that's the recesses at the back of the bolts AND, if there is one, under the front fork crown.

Works for me

Rob

Ac 50 is excellent for releasing nuts and bolts also offers good protection be aware its very slippy keep well away from rims tyres pedals levers bars etc

Top Bottom