Does anybody still use Cycling Capes?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
It does have a tendency of obscuring my front light (mounted on fork crown). Have to make sure it's tucked behind it.

It's no good if you mount lights on your bars.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
It's no good if you mount lights on your bars.
Indeed. This is probably the biggest downside for me, especially as most of my wet rides tend to be in winter when the lights are more likely to be needed.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
I remember using the oilskin ones - and the smell - which was the same as the table cloths used in school at lunchtime. I never wore a souwester IIRC, but my dad did. Oilskin capes were very effective but hefty pieces of kit and we were very happy when modern plastic ones started to be available in the early 1960s. Used to wrap the cape around the spare tub, and carry it strapped under the saddle with a spare toestrap. In recent years only one of the people I ride with has used a cape, and the disadvantages have been very obvious - any headwind resulting in her speed dropping dramatically :thumbsdown:.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
I remember using the oilskin ones - and the smell - which was the same as the table cloths used in school at lunchtime. I never wore a souwester IIRC, but my dad did. Oilskin capes were very effective but hefty pieces of kit and we were very happy when modern plastic ones started to be available in the early 1960s. Used to wrap the cape around the spare tub, and carry it strapped under the saddle with a spare toestrap. In recent years only one of the people I ride with has used a cape, and the disadvantages have been very obvious - any headwind resulting in her speed dropping dramatically :thumbsdown:.
We all wore yellow souwesters in the early 1960s in the States. Standard children's apparel for rainy days, so much so that it was lucky we all had numbered hooks in the hall leading to our classroom at school, or we never would have sorted them out.

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
[QUOTE 3222482, member: 259"]Aaargh, we had to have 'em at pirate school.[/QUOTE]
Really? I would have thought you'd have to wear something like this?
images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQRxzdiQwltzNRilCQBXsF4mmIlqxd7SmyhrD_hAZhx1TyofjcFdA.jpg

bigjim

Legendary Member
I used mine [£10 from Wilkinsons] on the Danube cycle path. My companions in their expensive jackets were soaked and I smugly stayed completely dry and sweat free. They were quite envious of the cape. I saw them used a lot on the trail but usually by Austrians and Germans.

fimm

Veteran
I have a cheap cape from Lidl. It lives in the Brompton pannier. It is useful to have it to throw it on over my office clothes. Mine is red.

Top Bottom