Does anyone actually pay full price for stuff anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Thats because they dont make much money from secondhand cars paid for in cash. They make the money from new cars on finance.

I know...I "happened" to see on a computer screen the price the dealership had paid for the car and it was only £400 less than the price they wanted. But turning away a deal for £60 of mats seemed a strange decision. Maybe it's because I didn't want finance, insurance for dings, insurance for wheel scuffs and all the other ridiculous upselling stuff they tried with me

martint235

Dog on a bike
I paid full price for my breakfast this morning, does that make me a bad person?

It's a very nice cafe though (I'm not usually one for cafes) who does good food and better coffee than you get in your standard crappy coffee chains and I'd quite like him to stay in business. :smile:

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
Usually I do OK at getting discounts but I was dumbfounded recently

Needed a new second car. Identified one we wanted and the local dealership arranged for it to be brought in from Middlesborough. Nearly new, quite a decent model. Cash buyer so quite a decent amount of money

Test drive etc, it's fine. TIme to talk turkey. They won't discount the price at all and it was clear that they would rather walk from the deal than offer cash off. It didn't have any mats so I asked them to chuck a set in to get the deal done. What kind of car doesn't come with mats?

Answer was a firm "no". I even showed them they could get lookalikey mats off ebay for about £60 a set. Still "no". So I asked them if they were happy to walk away from the deal over a set of mats. I was told "no problem, we will just stick it back on the forecourt for some other punter to buy".

So I walked. It's still there a couple of weeks later. Kind of bizarre. When I am selling my services to clients I always have to be in a position to discount or do something to get the business, even if it is just to make the client feel like he's won the negotiation and is in charge

It's a racket, we tried to buy a car a while ago and when we were insistent we didn't want their personal lease system they lost interest.

I'd take the hit and shift it, they'll have spent more that the cost of mats keeping it on their forecourt since.

Drago

Legendary Member
Usually I do OK at getting discounts but I was dumbfounded recently

Needed a new second car. Identified one we wanted and the local dealership arranged for it to be brought in from Middlesborough. Nearly new, quite a decent model. Cash buyer so quite a decent amount of money

Test drive etc, it's fine. TIme to talk turkey. They won't discount the price at all and it was clear that they would rather walk from the deal than offer cash off. It didn't have any mats so I asked them to chuck a set in to get the deal done. What kind of car doesn't come with mats?

Answer was a firm "no". I even showed them they could get lookalikey mats off ebay for about £60 a set. Still "no". So I asked them if they were happy to walk away from the deal over a set of mats. I was told "no problem, we will just stick it back on the forecourt for some other punter to buy".

So I walked. It's still there a couple of weeks later. Kind of bizarre. When I am selling my services to clients I always have to be in a position to discount or do something to get the business, even if it is just to make the client feel like he's won the negotiation and is in charge

The irony is that they cost of storage and depreciation probably well outweighs the cost of the mats, which they would have bought at trade rates and not paid any VAT on anyway.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Some shops have a SALE sign on the window. The thing is, it's permanently there. I never understood that.

No one pays full price for a sofa at D'uFS. Those guys make money even when ther sofas are on half price sale AND they give zero percent over a million years.

mustang1

Legendary Member
Similar to looking at a price in store, finding that it's cheaper on their website as a 'Web only offer', then getting a further discount by purchasing via a clickthrough site to them?
I was going to order pizza online the other day. It would cost me £13. Instead, i phoned them up and they charged me £26 for the same thing and said the deal i saw was an online offer.

screenman

Legendary Member
I know...I "happened" to see on a computer screen the price the dealership had paid for the car and it was only £400 less than the price they wanted. But turning away a deal for £60 of mats seemed a strange decision. Maybe it's because I didn't want finance, insurance for dings, insurance for wheel scuffs and all the other ridiculous upselling stuff they tried with me

Once they give you a discount then it starts the ball rolling for every customer. If they only hade £400 in the car then they had no room for moving and were already selling for a loss, it costs a lot more than that to sell a vehicle. At some point a new punter will come in and accept the price and pay on finance which is where a tad more margin is made.

Evan Halshaw by any chane.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Once they give you a discount then it starts the ball rolling for every customer. If they only hade £400 in the car then they had no room for moving and were already selling for a loss, it costs a lot more than that to sell a vehicle. At some point a new punter will come in and accept the price and pay on finance which is where a tad more margin is made.

Evan Halshaw by any chane.

Yes, but that isn't such a surprise as it's the only mainline dealership in Glossop

I suspect you're right. When they found I was paying cash and didn't want "tyre insurance" or other useless, overpriced products they tried to upsell me they preferred me to walk out. Then they'll take their chances that some other customer will want expensive finance etc on it. No problem really, nearly new Qashqai so not like it's some unusual car I can't get somewhere else

screenman

Legendary Member
Yes, but that isn't such a surprise as it's the only mainline dealership in Glossop

I suspect you're right. When they found I was paying cash and didn't want "tyre insurance" or other useless, overpriced products they tried to upsell me they preferred me to walk out. Then they'll take their chances that some other customer will want expensive finance etc on it. No problem really, nearly new Qashqai so not like it's some unusual car I can't get somewhere else

Blimey, I never noticed where you are from, brilliant sausage sandwich from the butchers there one morning. To be fair on the dealers they can sometimes be very fairly priced if you just want the car and nothing else. I must admit if it was one I was looking for I would buy the mats myself rather than go through the trouble of looking for another one. But we are all different.

Top Bottom