Does anyone actually pay full price for stuff anymore?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Does anyone actually pay the full offered price for stuff anymore, or not get cashback from the purchase?

With 'Price Matching', Wowcher, Topcashback etc., plus, for me anyway, a works 'Wowpoints' scheme.

So far, via my work scheme, I've had a £30 Evans voucher for buying my car insurance, similar voucher for my O2 phone contract, plus lots of points towards other purchases.
Even Santander offer me a 10% discount on assorted things. I once managed to get 20% at Wiggle by using my referral site, plus my Santander card once ^_^

Phone haggling is fun as well :becool:

classic33

Leg End Member
You'd be overcharged in the first place.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

You'd be overcharged in the first place.
Based on what? I look at a price at, for example, Halfords. I then click through via my works site. I then see the same price, purchase said item at that price, and get money back.
Define full price? I'd say any sensible retailer would build in enough margin to knock a bit off to make it sound as if the customer is getting a bargain...
The price I see onscreen. The one that some people still pay, giving the retailer a bigger profit margin.

Levo-Lon

Guru
No....tho I'll have to check.
Its all crap ,the list price RRP is there to be a starting point..50%off. Its just a selling tool

tyred

Legendary Member
The price I see onscreen. The one that some people still pay, giving the retailer a bigger profit margin.

It depends on what you're paying for but for services I'd think they'd expect you to haggle and budget accordingly. Every year when my car insurance is due the quote sent out in the post is horrendous but if I query it and threaten to take my business elsewhere, the broker will suddenly drop a few hundred to match whatever quotes I got elsewhere. I guess there are people who just write a cheque and send it back with the original quote but most will question it and save by doing so.

My morals always struggled with what the sales people in my last job did in terms of pricing but sadly that is business.

classic33

Leg End Member
Based on what? I look at a price at, for example, Halfords. I then click through via my works site. I then see the same price, purchase said item at that price, and get money back.

I was basing my answer on your question , which seemed biased to contracts and online.
Not much different from going to another shop, seeing the same item there and asking if they'll match the price. They say no, they lose the sale.

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

I was basing my answer on your question , which seemed biased to contracts and online.
Not much different from going to another shop, seeing the same item there and asking if they'll match the price. They say no, they lose the sale.
Similar to looking at a price in store, finding that it's cheaper on their website as a 'Web only offer', then getting a further discount by purchasing via a clickthrough site to them?

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

It depends on what you're paying for but for services I'd think they'd expect you to haggle and budget accordingly. Every year when my car insurance is due the quote sent out in the post is horrendous but if I query it and threaten to take my business elsewhere, the broker will suddenly drop a few hundred to match whatever quotes I got elsewhere. I guess there are people who just write a cheque and send it back with the original quote but most will question it and save by doing so.

My morals always struggled with what the sales people in my last job did in terms of pricing but sadly that is business.
I partially agree, but I think these companies hope that most people don't query the price and just cough up the extra £££, or in Ireland, €€€!

classic33

Leg End Member
Similar to looking at a price in store, finding that it's cheaper on their website as a 'Web only offer', then getting a further discount by purchasing via a clickthrough site to them?
See it dearer in store, I'll point it it out and then see if they'll match it. If not, it's out the the door. Sale lost for that store.

Slick

Guru
I nearly managed to a get a BOGOF regarding 2 dental crowns I needed, after a lot of arguing about it, I managed to get buy one and get the other for a £100.A saving of £300.
I also managed to get the household waterbill reduced by half without having a meter so instead of it being £800 per year its £360 which is much more affordable.
Much like myself, I believe that almost everything in life is a negotiation. Although we do need the majority to continue to be too embarrassed to ask for a discount so there's more for me. ^_^

ayceejay

Guru
She insisted we go to Luxor in Egypt, the guide said never pay full or asking price for anything and instead of giving the street kids money give 'em a biro:wahhey:. She wants to buy some jewellery and the guy said it was 20 Egyptian pounds (there were four of those to an English pound at the time) so she said 17 and he said 18 and we bought it. During our stay i learned the ropes so when the sales person said the cost of the item was 15. I offered 3 and after some haggling we settled on 5. Don't forget that the difference in real money was negligable but it was an exhausting way to do business and I swore after that I would set my price at a fair rate and clients could take it to leave it, this did not go down well. I learned that if you add 15% to your price and then offer a 15% discount this works better.:thanks:

Sandra6

Veteran
I always forget to go to a website via quidco so I miss out quite a bit. I do have a debit card linked to it , so when I use it in certain places I get cashback. I can also get cashback through my bank account - but again I have to remember.
As a Halfords employee I'm entitled to complicated discount schemes from other retailers but it's such hard work I don't even bother.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
Usually I do OK at getting discounts but I was dumbfounded recently

Needed a new second car. Identified one we wanted and the local dealership arranged for it to be brought in from Middlesborough. Nearly new, quite a decent model. Cash buyer so quite a decent amount of money

Test drive etc, it's fine. TIme to talk turkey. They won't discount the price at all and it was clear that they would rather walk from the deal than offer cash off. It didn't have any mats so I asked them to chuck a set in to get the deal done. What kind of car doesn't come with mats?

Answer was a firm "no". I even showed them they could get lookalikey mats off ebay for about £60 a set. Still "no". So I asked them if they were happy to walk away from the deal over a set of mats. I was told "no problem, we will just stick it back on the forecourt for some other punter to buy".

So I walked. It's still there a couple of weeks later. Kind of bizarre. When I am selling my services to clients I always have to be in a position to discount or do something to get the business, even if it is just to make the client feel like he's won the negotiation and is in charge

Inertia

I feel like I could... TAKE ON THE WORLD!!
She insisted we go to Luxor in Egypt, the guide said never pay full or asking price for anything and instead of giving the street kids money give 'em a biro:wahhey:. She wants to buy some jewellery and the guy said it was 20 Egyptian pounds (there were four of those to an English pound at the time) so she said 17 and he said 18 and we bought it. During our stay i learned the ropes so when the sales person said the cost of the item was 15. I offered 3 and after some haggling we settled on 5. Don't forget that the difference in real money was negligable but it was an exhausting way to do business and I swore after that I would set my price at a fair rate and clients could take it to leave it, this did not go down well. I learned that if you add 15% to your price and then offer a 15% discount this works better.:thanks:
Was this the guy?

Top Bottom