Does anyone bother repairing holes in inner tubes any more?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jackthelad

I dont repair,but use a new tube each time,I try to buy in bulk so get the tubes at the cheapest price per unit about £2 at the moment.I dont throw them away but put them in the recycle bin,so help the environment to the max.

Tim Hall

Aye, as Uncle Mort suggests, the exploded tube in your snap is a result of the tube escaping the constraints of the tyre, swelling up like an excitable balloon (all that air has to go somewhere) and going off pop.

Revisit your tyre fitting technique rather than your patching technique.

jaynana

i've never bothered repairing tubes in the last couple of years. is the time and effort really worth it with inner tubes being so cheap is the question...

added info on tire life that somebody touched:
on my previous bike i did a total of 3,200miles in 11 months before i sold the bike off, with the original tires it came with. they were almost gone but they still ran! those were specialized armadillo all conditions. 700x23. good aint it :bicycle:

i had 4 punctures during that time

cheers

j

400bhp

Guru
I carry spare tubes and repair the holed ones in the evening. That way I hopefully don't need to use glue in cold or wet conditions. We counted at least 4 patches on one tube last night! The cost of a new tube is irrelevant to me, I just hate seeing things being binned needlessly, we need to get out of this 'throw away society'.

^^This^^

It's a real shame that we don't repair things that are easily repairable and at the end of the day are simply utilitarian products.

Come on chaps-get repairing those punctures, or if you don't want to, then consider giving the inner tube to someone who will fix it/more needy (i'd happily pay for postage to get a repairable tube). Such a waste of good resource to throw them in the bin. :sad:

400bhp

Guru
alright, i think i have a couple of 700x23s. just one puncture somewhere in each... i'll go have a look and let u know. u can have em free just pay postage :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

If anyone else has more need for them then please shout up.

jaynana

checked. i have the below in my garage:
2 KENDA 700x23s with presta valves
1 26x1.5-2.10 with non presta or other type of valve

can't have more than one hole in any one of em.

all or nothing. just pay postage.

cheers
j

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Don't worry about implying lack of ability on my part, assuming I'm a numpty would be a safe starting point! As with most of my bike know-how it was learned when I was sub-10 years old and I can't remember where from!

After patching the inner I put a little bit of air in it and put it back in the tyres, then run my finger around it making sure none of it is pinched. I then put the tyre rim back in, quarter inflate the tube and then 'bounce' the wheel around a couple of times to try and make sure nothing is pinched. I then fully inflate the tyre.

I imagine it doesn't matter too much, but I have old 27" wheels and am using 700c inner-tubes.

IMAG1441.jpg

IMAG1440.jpg

jaynana

.....but it would take less time and effort to fix rather than post them!

the 'bulge' on one side of the tube due to the patch repair would make the tire imbalanced. eventually it can lead to uneven tire wear and it could be bad for the bearings as well!

ha haa, i just came up with that theory
:biggrin:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
the 'bulge' on one side of the tube due to the patch repair would make the tire imbalanced. eventually it can lead to uneven tire wear and it could be bad for the bearings as well!

ha haa, i just came up with that theory
:biggrin:

A good theory though...^_^

Top Bottom