Does anyone bother repairing holes in inner tubes any more?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

RhythMick

Über Member
I carry spare tubes and repair the holed ones in the evening. That way I hopefully don't need to use glue in cold or wet conditions. We counted at least 4 patches on one tube last night! The cost of a new tube is irrelevant to me, I just hate seeing things being binned needlessly, we need to get out of this 'throw away society'.

+1 totally agree

geo

Nice - just remember to factor in the extra 20 mins for Tomorrow's commute as the P-fairy will now surely strike twice!! :evil:

mmm,thanks for that :thumbsup:

Bman

Guru
A properly repaired tube is stronger than a new one :smile:

Thats why I dont repair in the field (unless I'm out of spares), but wait until I get home/to the office.

I carry spare tubes and repair the holed ones in the evening. That way I hopefully don't need to use glue in cold or wet conditions. We counted at least 4 patches on one tube last night! The cost of a new tube is irrelevant to me, I just hate seeing things being binned needlessly, we need to get out of this 'throw away society'.

+2 to that at least for my road bike.

For my mountain bike I run tubeless and, touch wood, haven't had a puncture in over a year.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I carry a spare and a cheapo repair kit. I'll put on up to three patches unless the damage is near the valve or would mean overlapping patches. Does that make me a sad old git?:cry:

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Thanks all. Part of the reason I want to repair them is that I hate waste.

I'll revisit instructions for puncture repair, I've already had mates say I'm overly precise with repairs but I must be doing something wrong!

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I think today's explosion might be beyond repair:

561ea2ba-4d57-0035.jpg

The patching is still intact though!

561ea2ba-4dde-4f4f.jpg

the_mikey

Legendary Member
At this point I'm wondering if 'unwanted holes in tubes' are worth repairing :sad:.

I repair my tubes, I use a good old fashioned puncture repair kit, with the sandpaper, cement and patches. I've got some park tool patches, I carry them in my saddle bag and use them when I've got time or when it's not possible to replace the tube.

Cubist

Still wavin'
Repair. Swap on the ride if I'm in company, and patch the tube when I get home. I find that Ian's tip of holding the patch on for a minute is spot on, and pumping it up to full pressure inside the tyre adds to the holding in place thing, so it goes straight back on after patching.

snorri

Legendary Member
Yes, I always fit patches, but have no policy of dumping tubes after x patches.^_^
In fact I patched one at the roadside today, there was no hurry so I just appreciated my surroundings for the few moments it took for the glue to be ready.:smile:

Top Bottom