Does anyone bother repairing holes in inner tubes any more?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

geo

like i say... more money than sense.

Exactly how long does it take to mend a puncture? In my book, about 30secs to a minute longer than it takes to fit a new tube.

And like I say, each to their own mate. You fix I'll stick to replacing

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I just fetched the bike out of the van and found out I must have gotten a new hole in it on the 100 metre test ride I did after the repair at lunchtime!o

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

lip03

Über Member
I get so many free tubes this way in the corner of the carpark at my workplace where the bikes are locked up there is always a big pile of old tubes (always specialized ones as Evans is just down the road) I just have a little look in the pile every now and then and sure enough there is always my size just laying there waiting for a puncture repair kit! People are so wasteful I just don't get why you would spend six quid on a new tube when people leave em out for scrap :smile:

lip03

Über Member
^^This^^

It's a real shame that we don't repair things that are easily repairable and at the end of the day are simply utilitarian products.

Come on chaps-get repairing those punctures, or if you don't want to, then consider giving the inner tube to someone who will fix it/more needy (i'd happily pay for postage to get a repairable tube). Such a waste of good resource to throw them in the bin. :sad:
I'll have a look in the pile mentioned in my earlier post!

Tim Hall

The edges seem lipless

I'd be wary of running tyres up at 100psi on a rim like that. St Sheldon, he says:

Traditional 630 mm (27 inch) rims were straight side design, but in the late '70s they evolved to a "hook edge" design which would permit the use of higher pressures. These days, many 630 mm (27 inch) tires are marked "For hook edge rims only" (some companies use the term "crochet type" instead of "hook edge"...this is the result of poor translation.) The fact is that modern 630 mm (27 inch) tires will work on older straight-side rims, but they won't handle as much pressure as they are capable of with hook edge rims. Generally, the "rule of thumb" for traditional 630 mm (27 inch) tires is that they should be inflated to 70-75 psi. This shouldn't be a problem with any tire, despite whatever disclaimer the manufacturer puts on the sidewall. However, if you're restricted to this pressure range, you probably shouldn't be running tires narrower than 1 1/8, or preferably 1 1/4, unless you're a very lightweight rider.

Taken from here

OP
OP
Andrew_Culture

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Cheers for that, I was about to post that I've not had any problems at 95psi, but then I guess I have had the rear wheel explode twice!

Even running at 80psi feels like cycling through glue :sad:. I think I might be reaching the natural conclusion of trying to use a venerable old tourer as a fast road bike...

__________________________________________________________________________________
Sent from a Victorian Terrace house, red brick, 1882 build.

400bhp

Guru
Not at all, but at just under £3.50 per tube my time is better spent doing other things than repairing the odd puncture. Each to their own I guess if you have the time and inclination then go for it. Personally for the price of a decent pint of Guinness I'll stick to replacing :smile:

You still have the time spent buying new inners though. Be that on t'interweb or trundling to the shops.

buddha

Veteran
Replace on the road. Repair at home.
Rema patches and glue for me.
Used to use the Park ones, but after about six months they started to go wrinkly.

edit: it doesn't take that long to repair a puncture, does it? especially if you save up a few tubes and do them all in one go.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Replace on the road. Repair at home.
Rema patches and glue for me.
Used to use the Park ones, but after about six months they started to go wrinkly.

edit: it doesn't take that long to repair a puncture, does it? especially if you save up a few tubes and do them all in one go.

Especially at home where you can submerge them in water to find the puncture! :tongue:

Top Bottom