Does anyone else get nervous when they go into bike shops?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

young Ed

Veteran
as for the problem with many shops not stocking female gear but too much male gear, my mums solution is just to use/wear male gear. most of her everyday and working shoes are males and her wellie boots are male, she struggles to find size 8 womens shoes that are incredibly wide for her super wide feet so goes for male shoes, she has had various male pairs of walking boots and jackets etc.
my jacket, which is the best jacket i have ever owned, is an ex WPC (Woman Police Constable)
Cheers Ed

luckyfox

She's the cats pajamas
I have to take pictures from outside because the lady said I was crowding the shop... I wanna browse, i wanna touch!!

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Guitar shops are worse than any LBS
This^^^

I never get intimat d in shops, I'm the one buying....but guitar shops aren't shops they are on another level.

You'll never be expected to show a store assistant in fcuk how good you are at wearing a pair of jeans but almost every time I visit a guitar shop I end up having to show my (lack of) skills but trying something...its rotten, I never play as badly as I do in a guitar shop.

Plus..and this is the worst bit, the kindly shop assistant then takes said guitar off you to "help" show you what it can really do. Can you imagine the same fcuk assistant saying, let me go and get someone with a nice ar5e to show you what these jeans could really look like.

Arrrrgh

Ganymede

Veteran
This^^^

I never get intimat d in shops, I'm the one buying....but guitar shops aren't shops they are on another level.

You'll never be expected to show a store assistant in fcuk how good you are at wearing a pair of jeans but almost every time I visit a guitar shop I end up having to show my (lack of) skills but trying something...its rotten, I never play as badly as I do in a guitar shop.

Plus..and this is the worst bit, the kindly shop assistant then takes said guitar off you to "help" show you what it can really do. Can you imagine the same fcuk assistant saying, let me go and get someone with a nice ar5e to show you what these jeans could really look like.

Arrrrgh
The best way to cope with a guitar shop - or a drum shop, dear lordy me - is to be a very friendly, middle-aged but not unattractive lady who doesn't know anything and places her entire confidence in the shop and doesn't mind asking the stupidest questions - it disarms them. I find they really rise to the occasion...

marknotgeorge

Hol den Vorschlaghammer!
The best way to cope with a guitar shop - or a drum shop, dear lordy me - is to be a very friendly, middle-aged but not unattractive lady who doesn't know anything and places her entire confidence in the shop and doesn't mind asking the stupidest questions - it disarms them. I find they really rise to the occasion...

I suppose I could try that...

... if I was on the phone. Twice I've had Orange refuse to speak to me because they didn't believe the voice they were hearing was a Mark. :cursing:

andyfraser

Über Member
I never play as badly as I do in a guitar shop.
So true. It doesn't help when you're playing an unfamiliar guitar through an unfamiliar set up. The last time I was in a guitar shop demoing a guitar it was a 7 string. I'd never played one before so I had the extra string to contend with. I couldn't get a decent tone from the POS amp I was made to use and when I asked if the amp could give me more distortion I was given a Marshall pedal that I didn't like. I couldn't make the guitar do what I was hoping it would do so I didn't buy it.

There was a very good guitar shop in Sheffield's Meadowhall shopping centre in the 90s. They had a sound proofed demo room with decent amps. They asked what style of music you play, set up a basic sound for you then leave to to it. It's much more relaxed that way.

Top Bottom