Does anyone include hills in the commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soup890

Crazy
Or do you try to avoid them. Would the commute be be more enjoyable if you had no hills? Does it depend on how steep the hill is so you decide to avoid it?

U

User33236

My shortest / quickest cycle friendly commuter route. Is dull and boring. I choose to ride a longer hillier route just for the heck of it. The hills aren't big by any stretch of the imagination but they are enough to get the heart pumping.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I don't really have a choice but to do some hills on my commute- would be weird without them. I've gone out of my way to include hills in the past- helps with the training.

Remember if you have no uphills you'd have no downhills.

jnrmczip

There is a huge hill on my final stretch home it's both long and steep 4 weeks ago I had to stop and walk half way up. I now cycle all the way up and getting faster every time. Even cars and buses struggle I never avoid it as it can only be good for me and help me get fitter and also if I am out a longer ride and I don't know the route big surprise hills won't phase me as I'm used to doing this one 4/5 times a week.

My opinion grit your teeth and go for it can only improve your riding over all

Biscuitfrisky

I have on my commute a long gradual hill climb as soon as I turn out my street and the same type last thing on the way back.

Makes the commute more fulfilling TBH

ACS

Legendary Member
Being the second worst climber in the country, I say this in the hope that there may be someone a little slower than I on the 'scenic' stuff, I make a conscious effort every morning and evening to include at least 700 feet of climbing in my 11.5 mile commute. I do this in the belief that I will eventually become a better climber. I remain forever optimistic.

tiswas-steve

Über Member
Yes, I add two quarter mile long 12%ers every morning.
Seeing as you're in my manor of SE London Ian, what hills do you commute up ?

I've got some inclines on my current commute. On my previous commute I had 4 14% bumps on my commute; I don't miss them at all and am quite content to stick with the current inclines for the time being.

jnrmczip

I've got some inclines on my current commute. On my previous commute I had 4 14% bumps on my commute; I don't miss them at all and am quite content to stick with the current inclines for the time being.
I am quite new to this but where do you get the % of the climbs from ?? Would love to know the % of my climb at the end of route

I am quite new to this but where do you get the % of the climbs from ?? Would love to know the % of my climb at the end of route

I was referring to the gradient of the hills I tackled; a lot of, if not all, hills have triangular signs on them (Normally at the top and/or bottom.) saying how steep they are. (Apologies if that sounds a bit condescending; it's not intended to be.)

Top Bottom