Does anyone include hills in the commute

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jnrmczip

I was referring to the gradient of the hills I tackled; a lot of, if not all, hills have triangular signs on them (Normally at the top and/or bottom.) saying how steep they are. (Apologies if that sounds a bit condescending; it's not intended to be.)
Ah I have never noticed the sign I thought it must have been data from an app. I will look out for a sign on Sunday when I am on the way home.

Ah I have never noticed the sign I thought it must have been data from an app. I will look out for a sign on Sunday when I am on the way home.

Bike devices like Garmin etc do record how many feet you've climbed over the course of your whole journey. With hills, there should be a triangular sign somewhere on them.

fabregas485

I try to include hills as I enjoy them. I hate having to put myself though a tough hill, but I feel happy to think I managed it when I do complete it.

RhythMick

Über Member
Or do you try to avoid them. Would the commute be be more enjoyable if you had no hills? Does it depend on how steep the hill is so you decide to avoid it?
My commute is 16 miles of which the first 2 is all up, about 900ft. Very little choice. If there was a way to avoid it on the way there I'd take it, but I quite enjoy them on the way home. Did I just say that?

Simmer

where I work is on top a hill (Macclesfield)... so when I cycle I have 2 options.. the first is "artists lane" . 1.8k av 5% with some 14% .. 2nd is oak road which is 4k at 2% to 6% .. if I'm feeling energetic I'll take the short sharp climb..most commutes I take the slower slog. I'm still new to this cycling lark at 18 months in and dont like hills yet... short ramps are fun now though under 1/2k :smile:

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
When preparing to move to my current location (in the hills east of Melbourne), I spent months researching the ideal location that would be
  1. very hilly;
  2. close to Mt Dandenong;
  3. close to Mt Donna Buang;
  4. close to Kinglake;
  5. far from work.
For those of you not familiar with places (2) to (4), they are mountainous areas reasonably close to Melbourne (or at least, within riding distance, provided you're fit). My current location satisfies all the above criteria, so I'm a happy hill-climber on my commutes and weekend rides :smile:.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Even though I am in Denmark, I have hills in both directions of my commute, whichever route I take.

Denmark is not as flat as some people like to think and some cycle tourists get a shock.

SteveSteve

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
There is a way to get MapMyRide to shows you gradients but I find it a bit hit and miss to find (one of the options has a 'show elevations' button. Veloviewer shows you but I'm not sure if it'll do it on routes you haven't logged by riding.

classic33

Leg End Member
It'd be impossible to avoid them round here. Either way I start and finish on a hill. With further inclines inbetween.

Top Bottom