Does anyone know of a better double sided SPD pedal that is easier to release than Shimano M520?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steven1988

Veteran
After some advice please guys.

I've just put my lad (9) onto Spds on his CX bike, however he's finding it difficult to unclip his left foot with the tension at it's Lowest.

So my question does anyone know of a better double sided SPD pedal that is easier to release than Shimano m520 or shall I put my more used pair on Hoping the spring is more worn.

Thanks in advance

Jason

Are the cleats new?
Try your cleats on his shoes

damj

Wondering if its just that he's still developing, possibly expecting too much at his age

OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
Wondering if its just that he's still developing, possibly expecting too much at his age

I don't think I am he rides CX races where there is kids as young as 6 in Spds. He's only on them now due to the amount his feet slipped off the pedals in the wet today

damj

Ah okay apologies, I use m520's myself, they're excellent. But perhaps he just needs a little time, me thinks☺

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
If the cleats are not set up properly then he may struggle. Also make sure that he releases by twisting his heels out rather than in - it is much easier that way.

I got distracted when lowering release tensions once and forgot to do one of the 4 sides. The result was that sometimes I could unclip, and sometimes I couldn't. Make sure that both sides of both pedals have been done.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Try the 'multi-release' SH 56 cleats, they're compatible with the 520s

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rc...b-spd-cleats&usg=AOvVaw0_QAJd65wVtqOqYTluUzsW

D

Deleted member 1258

Google "click'r" or click-r I think. They are multi release and you can pull up as well as twist.

I have a pair of Shimano pedals that use this system. I don't notice much difference tbh

I'm with @Dogtrousers here, put him on click r's to start with, if he gets to the stage where he's having a lot of pull outs then put him back on the normal ones.

U

User33236

I found spd's varied in clip in and release tensions too much (same pedals same cleats) in mucky conditions. I moved to pedals using Atac cleats and the improvement is noticeable. The pedals are typically better are clearing mud which helps in CX.

Top Bottom