Does anyone know of a better double sided SPD pedal that is easier to release than Shimano M520?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
steven1988

steven1988

Veteran
I found spd's varied in clip in and release tensions too much (same pedals same cleats) in mucky conditions. I moved to pedals using Atac cleats and the improvement is noticeable. The pedals are typically better are clearing mud which helps in CX.

What are they like to unclip from though, that's the issue my lad is having getting back out once clipped in

U

User33236

What are they like to unclip from though, that's the issue my lad is having getting back out once clipped in
I found them as easy, if not easier as SPD with a similar range of adjustment. Bonus is that each time you release its exactly the same as before. My experience of SPD was that it could be easy one time difficult the next.

andrew_s

Legendary Member
Used cleats should help - there can be sharp corners that catch a bit to start with, and it takes a little use to polish them up.

The easiest pedals I've had for entry & exit were Eggbeaters, which are also unaffected by mud, as much as is possible.
The downsides are cost, that the cleats don't last that well compared with Shimano, and that you've got to do the maintenance (not needed as frequently as the instructions would have it, but you can't ignore it like you can with Shimano)

Milkfloat

An Peanut
When the pedals are new they can take a bit of time to 'bed in'. Have you tried a bit of light oil or GT85 and then clipping in/out a shoe a few dozen times?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I like crank brothers egg beaters. They are essentially 4 sided and I find them very easy to clip in and out. They are a bit overpriced, luicrously so for the blinged-up ones. I also don't think they're as long-lasting without rebuild as they might be. For all that I think they're great for actually using. My use is road commuting.

Last edited:

Kestevan

Last of the Summer Winos
@Mrs Kes uses a pair of Shimano PD-MT50 "clickR" pedals. They have a much lighter release action than normal (she needs this because of a damaged ankle, and subsequent lack of strength). Coupled with the multi release cleats that come supplied with the pedal she's never had an issue with unclipping.

Top Bottom