Does anyone NOT...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

NickM

Veteran
To be properly alive requires bicycles, books and booze :smile:

But I like being cheerful, not blotto, and I find drunkenness very unattractive in others.

Since going to Belgium for the HPV World Championships this year, Belgian beers are my preference - British ale is just too inconsistent as served in British pubs. Unfortunately, Belgian beer at UK pub prices is ruinously expensive... but a car trip to a Belgian beer warehouse via Dunkerque is not :rolleyes:

I'll drink wine or beer - not spirits (particularly); but I just don't enjoy drinking too much. The most I've ever had is 3 pints of Kingfisher, with a curry.

I prefer green tea and a tunnocks teacake, but if I'm going to have a drink it's likely to involve a celebration of some kind. I've pretty much given up drinking in the last two months and I've not really missed it.

My favourite drinks are: westons organic cider, G&T, champagne, caipirinha, sauvignon blanc and rioja. If I do I drink because I like the taste, not to get drunk.

My other half drinks wayyyy too much and I want to pursuade him to cut down but can't seem to manage.

ChrisKH

Guru
I can take it or leave it. If I do take it, it's usually over a meal with my beloved or friends and no more than a couple of units. Brandy on Xmas eve, but that's me pretending to be Santa. I probably get through 4 units of alcohol a month.

Cyclista

Been almost fully teetotal for going on 10 years now, mainly because once I've had one, I find it impossible to say no even when I know that I've already had too much and should not drink anymore! ;)

I'm with Kirstie on the tea cakes! :blush: Coffee with mine though....

Arch

Married to Night Train
I don't drink very much these days, and can go weeks without alcohol. And it's rare I drink very much in one go. I don't think I'd like to not have the option to have a nice beer, or a glass of wine, but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Blue

Legendary Member
I was a non-drinker for much of my adult life, but now enjoy a couple of pints on a Saturday night and special occasions like birthdays. I would only get drunk about twice a year as I prefer being merry to being maudlin :biggrin:

I've a confession to make. I don't drink for the first half of the year. It's a fitness thing. Almost.

I do, however, have a fantastic ability to metabolise booze. I've checked a letter I wrote toward the back end of our Christmas bash. Word perfect. Two bottles of wine notwithstanding. Mind you, I then pushed off to the bar for a proper knees-up......

The question I ask is what happens when you do get pissed. I'm always cheerful, but I have friends who turn melancholic or aggressive. It's usual to say something like 'it's not them, it's the booze talking' - but, I'm afraid that it's the booze releasing them.

Do any of us do drugs - performance enhancing or otherwise?

I enjoy a couple of glasses of wine of a Saturday and very occasionally a pint of Guiness. Used to be quite a big drinker about 10 years ago usually going out most Friday/Saturday nights and sometimes a Thursday night as well. What really put me off was the hangovers, I just couldn't handle them any more:blush:

Hugo15

Über Member
I am only a very occasional drinker and can go weeks without having a beer. It's partly a fitness thing, but mainly because I just don't enjoy drinking in the house, and with two kids we don't get out as much as we used to.

graham56

Guru
Must admit i do enjoy a whisky, at the moment i`ve got a nice glass of Glenlivet in front of me-but not for long i`ll bet.

k-dog

Me. Never have - not once.

What I find strange is the people who can't go out without a drink - or can't enjoy themselves.

I understand those who want to drink - but just find it weird that some people feel they have to drink. Sad really IMO.

Peyote

I brew my own beer so in the interests of producing a good product I can't be teetotal! Having said that, I try not to drink during the week and rarely have more than a pint in one evening. One 40 pint batch tends to last several months!

Used to smoke a fair amount of Ganj. These days I'm lucky if I get through a 'teenth in 6 months, come to think of it, the last time I had a biff was April. I reckon I've avoided that particular psychological addiction, it helped by giving up the ciggies four years ago. Kind of odd how things turn out, because I was a regular (daily) user of Ganj for almost ten years so i would've thought I'd be a prime candidate for addiction.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
I've never been a big drinker, in fact when I smoked I could have quite easily lived without alcohol as long as I could have a smoke. Since my heart probs and quitting, my medicinal Cotes du Rhone consumption has been creeping-up and regular alcohol consumption is becoming almost habit rather than a pleasure, so post the festive season I'm giving-up the wine-box and will frequent the once a week gathering at the pub less frequently.
I've never been able to drink big quantities...a bottle of red maybe or about 5-6 pints is my record, but many of my drinking neighbours will easily do 10 pinst plus. In answer to simon's question, whilst I get happy on booze they become spewers of the worst of that weeks Daily Wail bile. At that point I make my excuses and leave...
Also I find that drinking boast of 40+ year olds pretty unpleasant... who gives a shoot how many pints they drank last Saturday or the fact that they got home and fell asleep on the patio unconscious...what's that about? It's a rite of passage when you're say a student...but a 45 year old father of 2...I don't get it.

Oh, and I did a bit of weed half a dozen times at parties...it was OK.

Cheers!

Top Bottom