Does anyone still mend punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had my third puncture in about nine months tonight, and the last time I used a patch (on my wife's bike) it went down within a week (and I got the inevitable ear ache of course) now I know I probably made a hash of it , but commuting 14 mile a day I need to know that the tyre is not going to go down, so I use a new tube every time. In nine months this approach has cost me about a tenner (£3 to £4 quid a go), am I being wasteful? or do most people fit a new tube everytime?

Peteaud

Veteran
park instant patch.

only had 1 fail and that was in the pouring rain and my fault.

paulw1969

Ridley rider
I replace with a new tube and then fix puncture with kit at home and not in a hurry, partially pump and leave overnight to check for soundness.......then replace the swapped tube back over for the repaired one when convenient....cheaper but does mean you have to carry spare tubes rather than just a puncture kit.......mind you i carry both 2 tubes and puncture kit.:whistle:

I never repair at the roadside, (life's too short) ;)

I'd say I repair them when I get home, but the pile of tubes in the shed would suggest otherwise :whistle:

It's one of those jobs I just hate doing. I'd rather paint the Humber Bridge with a toothbrush I think! :biggrin:

In reality every now and then I have a blitz and fettle like a demon, takes a lot though to get me tube fettling:evil:

I'm much the same, I carry a spare tube (2 on longer rides) and repair punctures in the comfort of my kitchen. Always carry patches to, just in case. As for tubes I will only repair them once then they get binned.

Like other folk, I put in a spare tube on the ride and fix at home. That minds me, I fixed one the other day and need to pump it up to try it out, before it goes in with the spares.

Edit, it looks a good one, but I'll wait a few hours before deflating it (a scheduled deflation :rolleyes:) and putting it in with the other spares.

Top Bottom