Does anyone still mend punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Like most I carry a new or pre-repaired one with me and mend when I get home. This usually means when have enough lying around for a repair blitz while watching a footy match. I nearly always use the olde-worlde cement though because I like the smell.

On the other hand, if I'm knackered and it's a sunny day, I will find a roadside bench or the nearest park and do a leisurely repair job while out. As you have to have the tube out anyway, roadside repairs don't take any longer than changing tube + repairing at home does.

endoman

tube, then patch at home, put the patched one back in so I have a none patched one as a spare. If it's a latex one I bin it, but only had one visit in the last year.
2 spares with me and a patch kit. I am soon to venture into the world of tubs for racing, so will get ready for some walking :-)

OP
OP
simon the viking
thanks for all your replies, I have repaired tubes in the past on lower pressures MTB's that used to live in shed all the time and did not matter if it went down but. now I rely on a road bike for commuting I think I will stick with replacing it each time. I do carry 2 tubes.​

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I carry 2 tubes and swap them on the roadside then mend them at home in the warm , what tyres are you using as i did not see them to closely the other day but you might want to change to a more resistant tyre if you want a bit more protection.
I use conti gator skins and i find them ok, maybe 5-6 a year over 5000+ miles most of which inflicted by glass on the A38 cycle path, they can be a bit less grippy in the wet but i am used to them and they offer a good compromise between protection and fast rolling .Other options to choose from ..
Scwable durano plus
Scwable marathon plus
Armadillo flak jacket
Bontrager hardcase
To name but a few .

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I repair at home - and the inner tube in my rear tyre has been in use for the last 3 years I think (possibly longer) and has about 5 patches on (3 of them from one event) - so I think it seems to be lasting fine. (I haven't seen the front inner tube for some time so can't remember how many patches it has - maybe 2).

(Equally I don't want to see it either!)

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Repair on the side of the road, dead easy with glue less patches (thanks satnav). I used to use glued patches with no issues, tho sometimes the glue would dry out if opened and forgot about.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I carry a little plastic packet of Lezyne self-adhesive patches day to day. If I'm out on a longer ride I'll also carry a spare tube, but what happens when that goes pop if you don't have patches ?

Current tube on the rear is still holding 110psi with a Lezyne patch, and has been for the past 3 months.

yello

I used to carry a kit for fixing on the road but every time I came to use the glue, I found it had ruptured or dried!

I carry quick patches for road use, in the event my spare(s) p* as well, but that'd be about the only repairs I do these days. I used to repair but as I p*ncture so rarely (touch wood!), I'd find the glue had dried up since the last repair! I have so many spare tubes that I don't yet need to buy more.

I think there's a real case to be made for not repairing, just binning and buying new. Treat tubes as consumables.

Rickshaw Phil

Overconfidentii Vulgaris
I'm going to buck the trend. I mend using a traditional glue and patch repair kit - at the roadside if necessary.

Thanks to Schwalbe and Continental I haven't had to do this at the roadside for quite a while now and I hope that will continue to be the case.:thumbsup:

yello

Thanks to Schwalbe and Continental I haven't had to do this at the roadside for quite a while now and I hope that will continue to be the case.:thumbsup:

Good point. With decent tyres, you can lessen your risk. I think that's my secret. Decent tyres, replaced before they're knackered.

Top Bottom