Does anyone still mend punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I just replace with a new inner tube; can't rememeber the last time I did a repair. I sometimes think it's possibly a bit wasteful and that I should get into the habit of repairing.

DWiggy

Über Member
Na just bin em, had a repaired one that deflate on me so vowed to just replace with a new one, + wiggle had the life savers 6 for £9, although with the Gator Skins and Velo rim tape I don't seem to get very many (touch wood:whistle: ), had one in about 1.5k miles and I think that was because the inner-tube just had enough!

lukesdad

Ooops another one this morning :angry: Time for the new Lithions ive had in the drawyer for ages, I'm a tight geet breaks my heart to throw a tyre away :sad:

patches here as well. Leyzne self-adhesive type - if you apply them to a partially inflated inner tube you don't over stretch the glue on the back of the patch when you re-inflate the inner tube afterwards and most holes allow you to get a reasonable amount of air into the inner tube (but not all) so you put the patch over a stretched inner tube (otherwise as you inflate the tyre you stretch the glue off the back of the patch which causes it to fail).
We have cycled 1,000's of miless on patched innertubes on tour & for commuting and not encountered issues with failures using the above method.
One tip is to hold your thumb over the hole to inflate inner tube and quickly apply patch, then hold patch firmly for 30seconds.

lukesdad

patches here as well. Leyzne self-adhesive type - if you apply them to a partially inflated inner tube you don't over stretch the glue on the back of the patch when you re-inflate the inner tube afterwards and most holes allow you to get a reasonable amount of air into the inner tube (but not all) so you put the patch over a stretched inner tube (otherwise as you inflate the tyre you stretch the glue off the back of the patch which causes it to fail).
We have cycled 1,000's of miless on patched innertubes on tour & for commuting and not encountered issues with failures using the above method.
One tip is to hold your thumb over the hole to inflate inner tube and quickly apply patch, then hold patch firmly for 30seconds.
Rubbish !

Rubbish !
I only stated what I have witnessed and what I have found best fixing flat tyres and I have used self-adhesive patches for a long time. Might not be the case of stretching that far on road tyres but on my touring & mountain bike inner tubes, I have seen them stretch the glue too thin on patches which then don't stick as well, leaving a ring of glue around the patch as well. Each to their own.

lukesdad

I only stated what I have witnessed and what I have found best fixing flat tyres and I have used self-adhesive patches for a long time. Might not be the case of stretching that far on road tyres but on my touring & mountain bike inner tubes, I have seen them stretch the glue too thin on patches which then don't stick as well, leaving a ring of glue around the patch as well. Each to their own.
Its not glue for starters !

Don't take any notice of LD. He's got a forum version of tourettes.

billy1561

BB wrecker
Always carry 2 new tubes just in case. Also park instant patches for those extra unlucky occasions or for when your daft mate forgets to bring his tubes (he aint having mine)
When home repair and replace back so i always have new in the saddle bag.

Kind of charming all these people still using little tubes of glue, sort of like the puncture repair equivalent of riding in tweeds. Do you also have the kits with in a tin with the little tiny yellow crayon to mark the hole, and the little block of solid talc and the grater so you can powder the patch and make sure any surplus glue doesn't stIck to the tyre casing? Those were the days, I used to love all that little ritual. Gave it up twenty or more years ago when the first super thin self adhesive patches came out. Find hole, clean up with sandpaper (last remaining bit of the old ritual) peel and stick, lasts the life of the tyre. Never looked back. Can do a Brompton rear in twenty minutes, any other bike in ten fifteen. Never use more than one tube per tyre for its entire life. Can't believe they still sell those old rubber cement kits!

RWright

Guru
I patched a few but don't do it anymore if I don't have to. Since I am just a fitness rider and carry two tubes with me that pretty much means never. I do carry a patch kit in case something unusual were to happen. I have patched them before and sometimes would still get a leak.

I finally figured out that the time I took to get everything ready, find the hole, sand it down, patch it, test it, roll it back up and clean up the mess, was worth more to me than the $ 3 dollars a new tube cost. Not to mention the chance it would leak and I would have to change it out on the road. I keep quite a few new tubes around.

Top Bottom