Does anyone still mend punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Spare tube and repair at home with instant patches.
I've seen these advertised but have never used them because I worry that they might not be as reliable as the traditional method (which I find works extremely well when done right).
How do you rate these instant patches? Have you had any reliability issues with a patch failing or comming off the next time you take the tyre off?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Kind of charming all these people still using little tubes of glue, sort of like the puncture repair equivalent of riding in tweeds. Do you also have the kits with in a tin with the little tiny yellow crayon to mark the hole, and the little block of solid talc and the grater so you can powder the patch and make sure any surplus glue doesn't stick to the tyre casing?

That describes me to a tee:pump::laugh:
Yes that's what I do because that is the correct way to fix a puncture. And for your information the kits are in a plastic container not a tin one thank you very much. I do move with the times you know.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I've seen these advertised but have never used them because I worry that they might not be as reliable as the traditional method (which I find works extremely well when done right).
How do you rate these instant patches? Have you had any reliability issues with a patch failing or comming off the next time you take the tyre off?

If you use the patches properly they are just as good as traditional patch and glue.
There is a way to use them. People who complain about them have simply not used them correctly.

You have to prepare the inner tube for patching as you would normally.
ie abrase and clean area to be patched.
Put patch over hole being careful not to get fingers on sticky side.
Hold and smooth patch down for a good 30-60 seconds.
Do not inflate tube outside of tyre.

The patch on the inner on my commute bike has lasted over 5000 miles.
I had to take the tyre off to get a spoke fixed and the patch was fine.

Cyclopathic

Veteran
If you use the patches properly they are just as good as traditional patch and glue.
There is a way to use them. People who complain about them have simply not used them correctly.

I'm sold. I will be getting some at the next appropriate opportunity. It sounds like even less hassle than carrying an extra tube around. By the time you've sorted it out and folded up the old one you could have been patching the tube.
Ah, do you have to leave some drying or fixing time for it to set?

I'm sold. I will be getting some at the next appropriate opportunity. It sounds like even less hassle than carrying an extra tube around. By the time you've sorted it out and folded up the old one you could have been patching the tube.
varies on the patches as to how long you need to hold it in place, but I use them as well and have not had issues. one of my OH's tyres on our world tour did some 5,000km with around 6 patches on it. It is probably still on the bike, knowing me:biggrin:

Peteaud

Veteran

100% how i do them and i have ever only had 1 fail and that was in the rain and everything was soaked (and cold).

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

I still carry a spare tube anyway.
With the planning, that I change the tube then patch at a cafe stop or work etc. Then swap them back over when I get home.
That's just the way I do it.

Ningishzidda

For those who can repair a punctured tube, get yourself down to your LBS, where they will have a bin full of punctured tubes. ( A yuppie sand-for-brains customer LBS [ Evans ] ).
For a donation to the Air Ambulance, the LBS man will let you take away some punctured tubes.
Wilkos have decent PRKs for 90p, or it might be £1 now, which will be adequate to repair six tubes.

Ningishzidda

PS 120 grit is the best sandpaper grade.

Ningishzidda

I never repair at the roadside, (life's too short) ;)

I'd say I repair them when I get home, but the pile of tubes in the shed would suggest otherwise :whistle:

It's one of those jobs I just hate doing. I'd rather paint the Humber Bridge with a toothbrush I think! :biggrin:

In reality every now and then I have a blitz and fettle like a demon, takes a lot though to get me tube fettling:evil:

Life's too short ????

Why don't you buy a bike with an engine in it? They save a lot of time.

172traindriver

Legendary Member
I carry 2 spare tubes and the instant patches (for worst case). If I puncture I will swap the tube and take the punctured one home where I can devote time to repairing it properly.
I will bin it if it is a snake bite, where it seems to be impossible to patch both holes effectively or as others have said if it is very close to the valve, where again it becomes difficult to patch effectively.
Yes you can get inner tubes in bulk for a very reasonable cost, but would you go chucking a fiver or a tenner in the bin for no good reason when you could save it for something else?

Cyclopathic

Veteran
Would it be worth buying 2 Bromptons so that you could ride one and carry the other? In this way you are prepared for any mechanical failure not simply punctures. (I think I might be a genius)

Shortmember

Bickerton Cyclocross Racing Team groupie
In this day and age I would have thought that someone would have marketed a solid tyre that performed as well as a pneumatic one and could be fitted easily without having to use a crowbar to lever it over the wheel rim.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
In this day and age I would have thought that someone would have marketed a solid tyre that performed as well as a pneumatic one and could be fitted easily without having to use a crowbar to lever it over the wheel rim.

Many people have tried. Many people have failed.

Top Bottom