Does anyone still mend punctures

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MattHB

Proud Daddy
+1

Carry a spare inner tube and repair in comfort and without haste

100% success rate
This! At £5 a shot I'm not going to chuck them until they've got their 3rd puncture. If I did my ride the other day would have cost a tenner!

OP
OP
simon the viking
The opinion seems to be split between lifes too short and what a waste of money, I think I will invest in some instant patches for the ride where two tubes arent enough! (I know it will happen one day) but probably only use them in an emergency as just got 4 tubes for 9.00 quid.

Bromptonaut

Rohan Man
Carry spares and puncture kit but usual routine is swap at roadside and replace indoors where it's warm/dry.

Rear wheel on Brompton is pain at roadside so generally bail to tube/bus and carry home. OTOH front one has been changed standing in door vestibule of train - just enough time between Northampton and Wolverton.

Mr. Jaggers

Regular
Kind of charming all these people still using little tubes of glue, sort of like the puncture repair equivalent of riding in tweeds. Do you also have the kits with in a tin with the little tiny yellow crayon to mark the hole, and the little block of solid talc and the grater so you can powder the patch and make sure any surplus glue doesn't stIck to the tyre casing? Those were the days, I used to love all that little ritual. Gave it up twenty or more years ago when the first super thin self adhesive patches came out. Find hole, clean up with sandpaper (last remaining bit of the old ritual) peel and stick, lasts the life of the tyre. Never looked back. Can do a Brompton rear in twenty minutes, any other bike in ten fifteen. Never use more than one tube per tyre for its entire life. Can't believe they still sell those old rubber cement kits!
I showed my son, who is five how to repair a puncture today. It would have been so much easier to just buy another inner tube but I thought it somehow seemed right to impart this bit of knowledge. Now I know that I am the old fart that my dad used to be. You have to show them these things though. He asked me what a phone box was the other day! Oh dear.

I still fix punctures.

I taught my kids to do so.

Anything else is wrong.

I am right.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
I carry a tube and a kit. If she comes calling, I swap the tube and fix it at home. If she's especially friendly, I resort to roadside repairs. It isn't that much hassle as long as it isn't raining. I bin the tube if the patch needs to be next to the valve or if there are four patches on it already.
I quite like the smell of the glue. Don't tell Frank.

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
Kind of charming all these people still using little tubes of glue, sort of like the puncture repair equivalent of riding in tweeds. Do you also have the kits with in a tin with the little tiny yellow crayon to mark the hole, and the little block of solid talc and the grater so you can powder the patch and make sure any surplus glue doesn't stick to the tyre casing?

That describes me to a tee:pump::laugh:

coffeejo

Ælfrēd
Another vote for replacing and repairing at home. Though I always carry a kit (traditional and scabs) just in case.

I can't bear our culture of using and disposing. Especially non-biodegradable items. Reduce, reuse, recycle. And if cyclists aren't, well... :banghead:

Top Bottom