Does anyone time trial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

palinurus

Velo, boulot, dodo
Find one and try it out, it really is easy to get started.

One way to start is with a local evening 10, many clubs run these from about mid-April through to mid August. Usually a couple of pounds to enter and you don't normally need to join the club to do your first one (if you are already a member of a CTT-affiliated club then you won't need to join the hosting club).

Or you can try an open event, it'll be a few pounds more and will probably take place on a Saturday afternoon (nice) or really early on a Sunday morning (at least you get the rest of the day free).

I didn't do any training before my first one- this has the advantage that when you do start training you make rapid progress. If you have an event targetted in, say, May you may want to start doing some harder efforts once or twice a week a few weeks before the event. You can be as low-tech or scientific with your training as you want, there's plenty of advice on the web.

Bet you won't be dead last.

Also look here: CTT

Noodley

CP

I asked a question in Training a few weeks ago and got some good advice :laugh:
I have not been able to do anything since I asked but as soon as I am fit again I shall be following some suggestions given.

I fancy giving it a go as well next year.

I have been toying with the same idea CP. I was initially worried about coming last, but my mate (he holds the course record) assures me that i'll be ok.
Im quite lucky as theres a TT takes place a couple of miles from me house every Wednesday evening (light nights only). So come the summer I will be there.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Unlike road-racing it's something you can merely dabble in and still get satisfying results - by beating your 'PB' (personal best) etc. Of course if you want to beat the competition then you have to be more serious about it.

peanut

ComedyPilot said:
I have toyed with the idea of doing some time trialling next year. Never done any, so will be dead last. Never the less, I fancy giving it a go.

Thoughts and / or advice?

absobluddylutely

I hoped to do a couple of 5mile TT's with my local club last month but it didn't happen.

I have been training on a couple of 5 mile loops locally but they are too hilly to get a decent speed up. There isn't 2.5 miles straight and level within 10 miles of me :biggrin:

I keep seeing the times that others do and chicken out.

The fastest I've done a hilly 10 in was cough 38 mins cough :blush:

I reckon we should start a TT training thread and log our training and times etc and share ideas.It should help with motivation . I'm going to aim to do my first next year in April 2010

peanut

heres an age handicap table . Not sure how it works or is applied ?
http://www.vtta.org.uk/newsite/StandardsTable.htm

heres a good novice guide from the Time Trialling Forum
http://www.timetriallingforum.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=22761

Noodley

peanut said:
I reckon we should start a TT training thread and log our training and times etc and share ideas.

I reckon that's a good idea.

Maybe a thread for newbie TTers to get advice from more experienced TTers in Training and also the chance to moan, groan, share success, share set backs, share times, share cake <oops, it's just habit ;):blush:>, etc...

Not a stickie. As hopefully it will generate enough traffic.

How about using the TT training advice thread I started in Training?

This thread and that one could be amalgamated I suppose. But let's see what others think....

peanut

good idea. your thread in training would be ideal. Have you got a linky?
I need some motivation, I've been off my bike for 4x weeks and piled on 6lbs

We should maybe each set a goal for next year, talk about training , check the weather then make a nice cup of tea and cake and settle down for the movie :ohmy::biggrin::biggrin:

Top Bottom