Does anyone time trial?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

peanut

dan_bo said:
Anyone fancy a fatties' team time trial thingy?

I'm up for that ;):blush:

peanut

darkstar said:
Think i'm going to try and incorporate TT training into my usual weekly routine, from now on i'm going to give this schedule a go;
Mon- Short 25 mile at a quick pace
Tue- 1 hour intervals, 5 minutes at race pace, 5 minutes off
Wed- Uni sprint training
Thurs- Day off
Fri- Day off
Sat- Medium ride (around 40 miles)
Sun- Longer ride with Uni (60 miles)

Anyone have any suggestions?

yes you are not really taking this seriously Darkstar.

I'd up Sat to 85 miles at level 2 and swim 3 miles on Fridays. ;):biggrin:

Will1985

Über Member
darkstar said:
Think i'm going to try and incorporate TT training into my usual weekly routine [...] Anyone have any suggestions?
I wouldn't have 2 days off in a row. Wednesday and Sunday are obviously rigid - what sort of intensity are they? It's likely that you'll have to factor in lectures to the schedule as well. I would probably swap Monday or Tuesday with Thursday.

Is this something you plan to stick to rigidly for a long period of time? It is good to get some variety - as pre-season progresses and fitness improves you'll be wanting to focus on different elements of training which might need a different schedule.

By the way, what differentiates a short 25 miles from a normal 25 miles? :smile:

bonk man

palinurus said:
There are two guys riding Moultons! excellent (maybe more- I didn't get to the end).

[ATTACH=full]177372[/ATTACH]

But I don't think I would ride a Raleigh 20 in a tt.... especially a folder..

Attachments

• de7n9h.jpg
    de7n9h.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 4

darkstar

Will1985 said:
I wouldn't have 2 days off in a row. Wednesday and Sunday are obviously rigid - what sort of intensity are they? It's likely that you'll have to factor in lectures to the schedule as well. I would probably swap Monday or Tuesday with Thursday.

Is this something you plan to stick to rigidly for a long period of time? It is good to get some variety - as pre-season progresses and fitness improves you'll be wanting to focus on different elements of training which might need a different schedule.

By the way, what differentiates a short 25 miles from a normal 25 miles? :smile:
Cheers for the feedback mate, yeh maybe two days off in a row wouldn't be the best of ideas, I'm really flexible in terms of time as i only have 6 hours of lectures per week, including thursday and friday off! (yes Geography is that easy)
I hope to ride this amount evey week until next April, with the hope of competing in the BUCS 10 mile TT :biggrin:
What's you regime like?

Just do it! It's quite addictive though. Used to myself when I was a lass & older but am too fond of pootling nowadays. Have also organized a fair few too. My Grandad had a 50m TT as a memorial in his name, still run to this day.

Rassendyll

darkstar said:
Think i'm going to try and incorporate TT training into my usual weekly routine, from now on i'm going to give this schedule a go;
Mon- Short 25 mile at a quick pace
Tue- 1 hour intervals, 5 minutes at race pace, 5 minutes off
Wed- Uni sprint training
Thurs- Day off
Fri- Day off
Sat- Medium ride (around 40 miles)
Sun- Longer ride with Uni (60 miles)

Anyone have any suggestions?

I will preface this by saying I've never been much of the type who sticks to rigid plans and consequently I don't claim a great knowledge of them.

But having hung out with a few people (Ironman, triathlon types) who are and do it seems to me that planned training should take place over a cycle of some weeks, rather than doing much the same thing each week.

Roughly I would suggest:
Week 1 - mainly aerobic, endurance work over distance
Week 2 - some aerobic and some higher heart-rate work - consistent time-trial sort of stuff and some intervals. Like your current week.
Week 3 - mainly TT, intervals and sprints
Week 4 - light aerobic, sub-aerobic - mainly recovery

That's not always practical of course but a bit of variation doesn't hurt.

darkstar

Rassendyll said:
I will preface this by saying I've never been much of the type who sticks to rigid plans and consequently I don't claim a great knowledge of them.

But having hung out with a few people (Ironman, triathlon types) who are and do it seems to me that planned training should take place over a cycle of some weeks, rather than doing much the same thing each week.

Roughly I would suggest:
Week 1 - mainly aerobic, endurance work over distance
Week 2 - some aerobic and some higher heart-rate work - consistent time-trial sort of stuff and some intervals. Like your current week.
Week 3 - mainly TT, intervals and sprints
Week 4 - light aerobic, sub-aerobic - mainly recovery

That's not always practical of course but a bit of variation doesn't hurt.
Great advice, cheers.
That makes sense, i suppose if you do the exact same routine every week the body will become used to it and won't progress as quickly as possible.

a_n_t

aJohnson said:
I was thinking of trying tt next year. Doubt I'll do very well because I'm very skinny so not really built for it, but it's always fun to try.

Look no further than Brad Wiggins?

I'm skinny too and I ended up as club handicap champion this year :biggrin:

peanut

I have been reading everything that I can find on the net about winter preperation for TT's and the general consensus of the top testers seems to be make sure first that you get a solid mileage fitness base in first before even thinking about specific aerobic/anerobic/fartlek/sprint training in .

There is an excellent CD guide available on ebay for a fiver written by one of the UK top testers .

Top Bottom