Does anyone use Garmin Segments?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mile195

Veteran
I'm trying to, but they don't seem to work.

Problem 1: Times from existing routes not syncing
I've chosen 3 segments from the garmin connect database. When I ride the sections of road my Garmin cues me to when I get to the start/end, and my time for that segment is recorded on the unit. After syncing the ride with Garmin Connect, the route I've ridden shows "you have not crossed any segments", and my best time for that segment shows as "- -"

Problem 2: Cannot send my own segment to Garmin unit
I created a segment from an existing ride. If I click "send to device" in garmin connect, it lists the segments I have "favourited" and asks me to click check boxes next to the ones I want to sync. The segment I created is there, but greyed out.

I've tried deleting and re-selecting the routes but it's made no difference.

The Garmin forum shows lots of people having the same issue, but a complete silence from Garmin, and not one thread seems to have a resolution!

If anyone can help, I'd be most grateful!

Milkfloat

An Peanut
IMO Garmin segments are dead and Garmin acknowledge this via its support for Strava. Personally - I tried it a few times, gave up and moved to Strava.

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Never mind... After about a week of trying to make it work I found a "service status" page on their website. Segments is currently down. I've emailed them, but judging by the silence from them in the various forums, Garmin appear to take the attitude "well we've got your money, so you'll just have to live with it"... nice...

OP
OP
Mile195

Mile195

Veteran
Well they might be... if they worked!

I had a reply from Garmin. They know there's a problem but don't know when it'll be fixed. I assume that now they're tied up with Strava, they won't "find" the problem until they've got as much kickback commission as possible from their Strava Premium trial offer which comes with all those new Garmin units that people got over christmas...

...Gosh I'm turning into such a cynic!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
...Gosh I'm turning into such a cynic!

Cynic away....As much as Garmin are great for their customer services, when it comes to fixing bugs on their units and software. They are just crap. You only have to peruse the Garmin forums to see that.

Top Bottom