Does being overweight mean you're slow on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

spen666

Legendary Member
There are some seriously large people in those pictures, in the write up it says they aim to average 18mph, they better lose some of the lard.
Why do they need to lose any weight?

They managed it last year, and at least one of those large people is a regular triathlete who puts in some very good times!

Don't fall for the myth that all large people can't ride fast or long distances

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member

They managed it last year, and at least one of those large people is a regular triathlete who puts in some very good times!

I know some fast heavy people, but they are not the shape of some of those in the picture.

Crankarm

Guru

LoL! If this is the case Spen why aren't there any fat people in distance running or Pro cycling? Should the Brownlee brothers, Mo Farah or Chris Froome or Cav be worried? :laugh:

spen666

Legendary Member
LoL! If this is the case Spen why aren't there any fat people in distance running or Pro cycling? Should the Brownlee brothers, Mo Farah or Chris Froome or Cav be worried? :laugh:
Clearly you have not read what I posted.

I made no reference to
a) fat people
b) professional athletes

For your benefit, I will repeat what I said

Crankarm

Guru
Clearly you have not read what I posted.

I made no reference to
a) fat people
b) professional athletes

For your benefit, I will repeat what I said

What do you define as being LARGE or a LONG distance? See the difficulty in your statement, there are so many ways it can be interpreted.

subaqua

What’s the point
What do you define as being LARGE or a LONG distance? See the difficulty in your statement, there are so many ways it can be interpreted.
by most medical standards I am obese at 18 stone and 6ft 3 . I can average 15 mph on my commute in town, I don't do running except short distance and in school over 25yrs ago I held the 100mtrs record as a "lardy" which really annoyed the racing whippetts. long distance running I hate with a passion.

Crankarm

Guru
by most medical standards I am obese at 18 stone and 6ft 3 . I can average 15 mph on my commute in town, I don't do running except short distance and in school over 25yrs ago I held the 100mtrs record as a "lardy" which really annoyed the racing whippetts. long distance running I hate with a passion.

You are such a rebel. Think how much faster, fitter, healthier, etc. you'd be if you weren't obese! You became obese to annoy thinner normal people. This is an unorthodox reason I've not heard before for being fat.

I can average 20-22mph and I am not obese. Think what more you could achieve if you lost some lbs.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
You are such a rebel. Think how much faster, fitter, healthier, etc. you'd be if you weren't obese! You became obese to annoy thinner normal people. This is an unorthodox reason I've not heard before for being fat.

I can average 20-22mph and I am not obese. Think what more you could achieve if you lost some lbs.

Averaging 20-22 and not being obese hasn't done much for your personality, think what you could achieve if you were nice.

subaqua

What’s the point

I havent said what I can achieve when not commuting . but am happy enough being medically obese ( same as most of Wales rugby team , and TBH most proffesional teams) I think the Resting heart rate , and how quick mine returns to resting after pushing it hard as well as a sensible blood pressure and sensible cholesterol level are better indicators of fitness and health rather than a early 20th Century formula.

I don't know what menatl health indicators are but i have a feeling some people here might be a little ill and should seek help.

Top Bottom