Does being overweight mean you're slow on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Big Nick

I know plenty of 'skinny' looking people of my age and younger who aren't half as fit as me (6'1 and 15 stone)

Being overweight/fat/large or however you describe it does not mean you can't be fit and the opposite is just as true

theclaud

Openly Marxist
I can average 20-22mph and I am not obese.
It may have been pointed out before, but isn't that a trifle too fast to be riding on the pavement?

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
by most medical standards I am obese at 18 stone and 6ft 3 . I can average 15 mph on my commute in town, I don't do running except short distance and in school over 25yrs ago I held the 100mtrs record as a "lardy" which really annoyed the racing whippetts. long distance running I hate with a passion.

Can you also average 18mph for 80 miles?

OP
OP
S

screenman

Legendary Member
Going back to my OP, can anyone deny that being overweight is not a disadvantage to maintaining 18mph for 80+ miles.

jack smith

Veteran
There can be a difference between fat and heavy, although some people who would be called fat cans till get good times as just cause your fat dosent always mean your not fit for certain tasks. I average about 100 kilo which is way over my bmi and I'm classed as obese but I'm not what people would consider fat at all, I can get the bike to 30mph + from the saddle which isn't considered slow, I can average 20+ fairly easily over a flat or lumpy course

uclown2002

Guru
There can be a difference between fat and heavy, although some people who would be called fat cans till get good times as just cause your fat dosent always mean your not fit for certain tasks. I average about 100 kilo which is way over my bmi and I'm classed as obese but I'm not what people would consider fat at all, I can get the bike to 30mph + from the saddle which isn't considered slow, I can average 20+ fairly easily over a flat or lumpy course
That is seriously impressive; perhaps you would like to join our challenge:- http://www.cyclechat.net/threads/100-miles-in-5-hours-challenge.154680/

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Fat fit and happy. That's me.

and I descend like a demon.

And I slow? define slow... I sure ain't normally in a hurry.

KneesUp

Guru
Take a cyclist of weight x kg.

Measure their average speed.

Take the same cyclist on the same bike and the same route but add 6 stone to the panniers.

Does anyone really imagine that the second speed will be the same or higher than the first?

Profpointy

Legendary Member

Take the same cyclist on the same bike and the same route but add 6 stone to the panniers.

Does anyone really imagine that the second speed will be the same or higher than the first?

6 stone in the panniers is not the same as an extra 6 stone of muscle on the rider.
Of course, how much of the extra 6st is muscle and how much is lard, is a different question.

(for the avoidance of doubt I'm reasonably thin)

Depends. Are we talking a cyclist racing at max effort or a cyclist riding at more leisurely speeds?

Top Bottom