Does being overweight mean you're slow on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
........ know i can go faster if i dropped the lard.........

That's the whole thread summed up in less than a dozen words. :smile: People accepting the evident truth of this could have saved 8 pages, and goodness knows how many extra entrants to the Ignore function. There's a world of difference between "slow" and "slower than otherwise" in the thread title.

MikeG

Guru
....... do you think a riders mass has little affect on acceleration?

For anyone who wants a little help with the answer, remember your basic physics........ F=MA, thus A = F/M (where F= Force, M = Mass, and A = Acceleration). Therefore, anyone claiming that acceleration is unaffected by mass would need to demonstrate that F (power in this instance) increases in direct proportion to Mass. Is a bloke who is say, twice as heavy as another automatically twice as strong? ie A = 2F/ 2M If not, you've lost the argument.

welsh dragon

Thanks but no thanks. I think I'll pass.
For anyone who wants a little help with the answer, remember your basic physics........ F=MA, thus A = F/M (where F= Force, M = Mass, and A = Acceleration). Therefore, anyone claiming that acceleration is unaffected by mass would need to demonstrate that F (power in this instance) increases in direct proportion to Mass. Is a bloke who is say, twice as heavy as another automatically twice as strong? ie A = 2F/ 2M If not, you've lost the argument.

I was just about to say that, but you beat me to it :laugh:

KneesUp

Guru

It depends on the "bloke" I'd expect someone near to starvation would be more than twice the weight and more than twice as fast at a healthy weight.

MikeG

Guru
It depends on the "bloke" I'd expect someone near to starvation would be more than twice the weight and more than twice as fast at a healthy weight.
You're changing the parameters, and changing the argument. I didn't say anything about speed whatsoever, and you reply by saying "twice as fast".

KneesUp

Guru
You're changing the parameters, and changing the argument. I didn't say anything about speed whatsoever, and you reply by saying "twice as fast".
You're correct. My point stands if you swap 'strong' for 'fast' though.

If you're not talking about speed you're off topic though :smile:

MikeG

Guru
You're correct. My point stands if you swap 'strong' for 'fast' though.

If you're not talking about speed you're off topic though :smile:
I was answering a question about acceleration........rate of change of speed.

As for your previous point.....you accept that you are talking reductio ad absurdum? This is of course a valid use of logic, but in this case it says nothing about the general case we are discussing.

brand

I like you, you're funny.

So, you've yet to answer the question, do you think a riders mass has little affect on acceleration?

Being fast over a short distance like 100 metres is not severely affected by weight. Most top sprinter are overweight albeit as product of greater muscle mass than the average person​
I was replying to 100 metres sprint therefore running. Also stated not severely affected.

PS I know I am funny

Last edited by a moderator:

KneesUp

Guru

brand

I was answering a question about acceleration........rate of change of speed.

As for your previous point.....you accept that you are talking reductio ad absurdum? This is of course a valid use of logic, but in this case it says nothing about the general case we are discussing.
You are being sesquipedalian. As Tex and his fellow countrymen would say "you are using $10 words where 50 cent words will do!"

[MOD Edit: Remainder removed]

Last edited by a moderator:

MikeG

Guru
MikeG am I using the right word in the right context?

I have no idea. I haven't really got much of a clue as to what point you are trying to make, so can't help you with your word choice. As I said a while back, some people here need to be more selective with the words they use, because, for instance, discussing speed and acceleration are two different conversations.

Top Bottom