Does being overweight mean you're slow on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MikeG

Guru
Everyone knows that BMI is, at best, a blunt instrument, and there are much better measurements of whether an individual is carrying too much weight. The entire England rugby team would be classed as obese using BMI. So, if the measurement is stupid, stop using it in your arguments. At the very least, some of those arguing in this thread need to be more precise in their use of language.

Everyone knows that BMI is, at best, a blunt instrument, and there are much better measurements of whether an individual is carrying too much weight. The entire England rugby team would be classed as obese using BMI. So, if the measurement is stupid, stop using it in your arguments. At the very least, some of those arguing in this thread need to be more precise in their use of language.
My exact point which was called ludicrous. Bmi is an indicator that is used in the uk. It is a bad indicator, hence my post re my instructor.

My doctor used it. I told him I have a high muscle body but that wasn't recorded in the notes as to the uk medical profession it doesn't count.

Apparently a better measurement is waist.

KneesUp

Guru
Apparently a better measurement is waist.

That also sounds a crude measure, but works better for me at least - I weight pretty much the same as I did 20 years ago, but I am nowhere near as fit as I was then - as reflected in going from 28/30 jeans to 32/34. I've lost a chunk of muscle and gained a bigger chunk of fat of the same mass.

Obviously my BMI has not changed at all in that time.

brand

I am glad you think so. The talk is of BMI. He had no fat but he had a high body weight due to all the muscle - muscle weighing much more than fat. He was also quite short. Therefor his BMI was in the obese category which is how it is defined.

Please feel free to dispute any of that rather than ridiculing what you don't understand - it just makes you look silly.

Please read the link below and let me know if you are still confused.

http://bmi.emedtv.com/bmi/bmi-for-athletes.html
"The BMI (body mass index) score is valid for both men and women, but it does have some limits. One of these limits involves the accuracy of using BMI for athletes. Using BMI for athletes can overestimate their level of body fat because muscle is denser than fat and weighs more. Therefore, an athlete's body fat can be normal or even low, but the person may have a high BMI. This does not mean that they are unhealthy or overweight. In fact, a number of gold medal winning athletes at the Olympics would be considered obese based solely on their BMI."

EDIT - I think I have seen your confusion. Obesity is defined in the UK by BMI see here. BMI is a calculation from just height and weight. Nothing to do with fat. If you are very muscley, you will have a high BMI and little fat. You will therefore have a high BMI score which may even up you into the obese category.

Again, try looking things up before calling post ludicrous.

"What are overweight and obesity?

Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health".

The above is what I stated and it comes from the World Health Organisation site. Do you agree with that? if not your views are ludicrous. Sorry if that makes me sound like a "gob*****" but my views tend to be....sorry can't think of right words. I am a bit "slow at the moment as I have had a few epileptic " episodes " (the new politically correct way of describing fits) recently

Last edited by a moderator:

KneesUp

Guru
"What are overweight and obesity?
Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health".

The above is what I stated and it comes from the World Health Organisation site. Do you agree with that? if not your views are ludicrous. Sorry if that makes me sound like a "gobshite" but my views tend to be....sorry can't think of right words. I am a bit "slow at the moment as I have had a few epileptic " episodes " (the new politically correct way of describing fits) rececently

but then you also said:

Most top sprinter are overweight albeit as product of greater muscle mass than the average person​

So you are now saying that it is ludicrous to disagree with the definition of being overweight or obese as having "abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health" whilst also saying that having greater muscle mass can also make you overweight.

This is why you need to be more careful about what you type - perhaps trying to be a bit consistent would help?

KneesUp

Guru
Incidentally @brand, the WHO go on to say

The WHO definition [of 'overweight' and 'obese'] is:

• a BMI greater than or equal to 25 is overweight
  • a BMI greater than or equal to 30 is obesity.
But then goes on to say that BMI isn't a great measure for reasons discussed. Which does make you wonder why they use it as their definition ...

jarlrmai

Veteran
BMI is for populations and indication, there have been a few highly publicised stories of athletes being told they are overweight by uninformed health professionals but as an indicator for the general public it is a simple figure that anyone can work out that gives you an idea that you might be overweight, a lot of people see themselves as normal, because the average person they see looks the same, but they are actually overweight.

If you are so fit that you classify as overweight because you have high muscle mass, you KNOW all about (and probably don't hold back from telling as many people as you can in faux outrage)

brand

Sorry but some surgery do messure body fat. They use a hand held device held by the patient in both hands which sends a small electrical charge round your body. I think the longer it takes to go round the body the more lard you have. 2 surgeries I have used in the past used this devise the rest were incompetent .
Also it was recently reported by the UK medical profession that some children had the correct BMI but were obese. In other words very little muscle.

Last edited:

KneesUp

Guru
The electric fat calculators work on the principle that fat and muscle have a different resistance I think. I would imagine they assume a certain proportion of you is bone and internal organs, and then deduce your body fat percentage from the resistance it measures.

They are reasonably accurate, apparently, but the only real way of knowing is via an autopsy, which is a bit extreme for most purposes :smile:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Sorry but some surgery do messure body fat. They use a hand held device held by the patient in both hands which sends a small electrical charge round your body. I think the longer it takes to go round the body the more lard you have. 2 surgeries I have used in the past used this devise the rest were incompetent .
Also it was recently reported by the UK medical profession that some children had the correct BMI but were obese. In other words very little muscle.

It an INDICATION and for POPULATIONS, it's easy in person to see if someone fall outside for a proper reason it ie they look like pro Rugby player or they are a small kid with too much fat but short/light enough that the maths breaks down. Or that they have a strange body shape but are otherwise healthy

But if you have 1 million heights and weights you can get a good population average by working out BMIs or if you are an unsure individual and check it and you see an overweight figure you can go to a professional check it out. Any professional that goes purely on BMI in person should not be a professional.

If you want the most accurate in vivo calculation you need to go on a DEXA scanner configured for fat density.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Bet they have hearts like diesel pumps to cope.

That's the main problem with being overweight its the extra load it puts on your CV system.

U

User6179

Bet they have hearts like diesel pumps to cope.

That's the main problem with being overweight its the extra load it puts on your CV system.

That would suggest that it does not matter whether the extra weight is fat or muscle?

Top Bottom