Does being overweight mean you're slow on a bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
That's the old "My grandfather smoked 30 fags a day, drank 10 pints a night, ate loads of fried food, and lived to the age of 81" argument!

The grandfather in question might well have lived to 95 if he'd looked after himself better! :whistle:

Perhaps you would already be doing sub-50 minute 25s if you had junked the junk ... :thumbsup:

Yebbut there's a difference between health and performance. Lots of foods that are good for performance in one context or another are arguably junk.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Yebbut there's a difference between health and performance. Lots of foods that are good for performance in one context or another are arguably junk.
Indeed - On long, hilly rides, I often eat cake, chocolate, biscuits etc., yet I average ...

... about 9 mph! :whistle::laugh:

U

User6179

Power to weight ratio is what counts so fatties are at a disadvantage.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
Yep. Indeed. Six pages, every conceivable argument has been made, and not one single person has changed their mind.
Yep. No one is saying being overweight is good for you, but some are saying if you are overweight you are slow, unfit & in denial about how much you eat :thumbsup:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
can see why some people think cycklists are arrogant tw@ts ( not you BTW )
some people think cyclists are arrogant tw@ts because some arrogant tw@ts ride bikes.

and wasn't the rugby awful?

brand

Does being overweight mean you're slow on a bike?

Yes, obviously they weigh more. Like carrying a rucksack full of wet sand you weigh more therefore you go slower.
Not sure why the typing has come out so large but to the paranoid its accidental:hello:

Last edited by a moderator:

brand

My takewondo trainer was obese. Not an ounce of fat on him. I also wouldn't have fancied calling him obese.
That is an oxymoron, it is impossible to be obese and not have an ounce of fat on you. In fact even a marathon runner like Paula Radcliffe has body fat. Your statement is probably the most ludicrous I have ever read.

brand

by most medical standards I am obese at 18 stone and 6ft 3 . I can average 15 mph on my commute in town, I don't do running except short distance and in school over 25yrs ago I held the 100mtrs record as a "lardy" which really annoyed the racing whippetts. long distance running I hate with a passion.
Being fast over a short distance like 100 metres is not severely affected by weight. Most top sprinter are overweight albeit as product of greater muscle mass than the average person​

KneesUp

Guru
That is an oxymoron, it is impossible to be obese and not have an ounce of fat on you. In fact even a marathon runner like Paula Radcliffe has body fat. Your statement is probably the most ludicrous I have ever read.
It's perfectly possible to have a BMI that falls in the range described as 'obese' and yet have a very low body fat percentage, because the BMI scale assumes you're not built like a brick outhouse. The BMI measure is meaningless if you are more muscular than average, which I think was the point being made.

You should try some election manifestos if you think that is the most ludicrous thing you've ever read btw.

brand

What are overweight and obesity?
Overweight and obesity are defined as abnormal or excessive fat accumulation that may impair health.

Top Bottom