Does Cateye 400 Volt XC fit Brompton fitting?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mitchibob

Über Member
I've been mostly happy with my Cateye 300 on my Brommie, but lately, it's been playing up, in ways that suggests not just battery, however, it's working again, but I'd really like to get a spare light, as I always have a spare rear one in my saddlebag.

However, 50 quid for the new 'brompton' one seems ridiculous when you can buy the same light for 25 quid if it's to fit on handlebars. So I'm wondering, can the cheaper one fit on the brompton fitting, if you already have it and the reflector?

Justinitus

Warning: May Contain Pie
The Volt 400XC uses a rubber band fitting direct to the handlebars which won’t fit your existing mount.

None of the XC Volt models will fit. The XC’s have a different beam pattern more suited to off road.

The ones that will fit the your existing quick disconnect fitting are the standard Cateye Volt 400 (currently £40.45 on Amazon) or the Volt 800 (which is an excellent light).

OP
OP
mitchibob

mitchibob

Über Member
The Volt 400XC uses a rubber band fitting direct to the handlebars which won’t fit your existing mount.

None of the XC Volt models will fit. The XC’s have a different beam pattern more suited to off road.

The ones that will fit the your existing quick disconnect fitting are the standard Cateye Volt 400 (currently £40.45 on Amazon) or the Volt 800 (which is an excellent light).

Thanks for the response. That's useful. Now I'm torn with getting a cheap ex-demo 400, or a nicely discounted 800 and I'm terrible at making decisions like that ;-)

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Thanks for the response. That's useful. Now I'm torn with getting a cheap ex-demo 400, or a nicely discounted 800 and I'm terrible at making decisions like that ;-)
Go for the 800.
I got a discounted one last year, discounted because the package was missing plus it had a wee chip, the light is very good.
Meantime it has acquired more chips because I dropped it several times, still works fine.

OP
OP
mitchibob

mitchibob

Über Member
Go for the 800.
I got a discounted one last year, discounted because the package was missing plus it had a wee chip, the light is very good.
Meantime it has acquired more chips because I dropped it several times, still works fine.

Thank you very much for the advice. 800 is nearly as cheap as the 400 brompton one with current discounts, but definitely better, fits the bracket, plus gives me another mount for handlebars in case I ever need both of them going at once. Just nice to have a decent spare front light after the scares during completing festive500 the other week. Plus nice that they both use the same power pack (although perhaps a tad overpriced for what is essentially a waterproof 18650 battery).

Learnt quickly not to look at the 800 front-on... saw purple for the next 10 minutes!

Also, the silver/black 400 mounted on the handlebars, and the jet black 800 mounted above the black mud-guards, looks like they were always supposed to be there.

Thanks again!

Last edited:

NotAnother Cyclist

I have the 300, 400 and 800. All excellent. Cateye also do a helmet mount that those lights fit for about a fiver which I have as well. There is a version of the 400 with a red rear light combined which I tend to use ob on the helmet

OP
OP
mitchibob

mitchibob

Über Member
I have the 300, 400 and 800. All excellent. Cateye also do a helmet mount that those lights fit for about a fiver which I have as well. There is a version of the 400 with a red rear light combined which I tend to use ob on the helmet

I'm hoping the issue with the 400 was a temporary thing. Maybe pack wasn't screwed in enough? Probably needs a new battery too. Just nice to have a spare front as well as back at this time of year. The 400 seems to sometimes not start up correctly at the moment. Or starts up in a different mode to last I had it. Once started, it seems to be fine, but when it died in the middle of nowhere when I thought it should've lasted, made me think I need a front spare light. Carrying the two is still lighter than the front light I had on my bike when I did my paper round, with 2xD batteries that needed charging every other day.

I love the Cateye rear light that fits into 2016+ Brompton saddles too. Cheap and small and light enough buy a couple, and always have a spare in your saddlebag. I'm tempted to get a new saddle, but I find the standard saddle not too bad, although probably not as good as a properly worn in Brooks or something. But these rear Cateyes are just so easy to carry and give off great light. OK. I've nearly lost a couple as they're easy to knock out. But, just a great, small, bright rear light that's stopping me from getting a nicer saddle.

Top Bottom