Does chain matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beany_bot

Veteran
I need a new chain on my bike. Its a Triban RC500, rear cogs are 9 and 2 at the front. It current has a KMC 8J - 2 Narrow chain just now. But do I need to replace it like for like?

vickster

Legendary Member
No, just get 9 speed. I like SRAM

DSK

As above, no it does not have to be KMC, only the the right type/spec.

Usually the cheaper chains are the strongest and the more expensive/lighter the chains become, the weaker they get regardless of what gibberish the marketing bods spew. I'd say just get something like a £20ish Shimano, SRAM, Wipperman. KMC chain.

(I just bought a replacement KMC (EL 11 speed) 2 weeks ago for £65...... looks very fragile. So little faith I have in its 'strength', today I ordered a Wipperman chain.)

vickster

Legendary Member
Did your tyres arrive ok?

vickster

Legendary Member
Just to triple check, my current chain says "narrow" on it. that isn't important?

Infact, I think my current chain (came on the bike from new) is an 8 speed
I don’t think it matters, that one is compatible with Shimano drive chains (you have Claris or Sora maybe)?
Have you checked the state of the cassette too? How many miles has that chain done?

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
I don’t think it matters, that one is compatible with Shimano drive chains (you have Claris or Sora maybe)?
Have you checked the state of the cassette too? How many miles has that chain done?
It's a Sora groupset bike. The chain is just almost 0.75 wear with the little doo-da tool. So I thought now is the time. It's never been changed before, the bike is 1 year old. This is the bike - https://www.decathlon.co.uk/rc-500-disc-road-bike-turquoise-sora-id_8554411.html

vickster

Legendary Member
It's a Sora groupset bike. The chain is just almost 0.75 wear with the little doo-da tool. So I thought now is the time. It's never been changed before, the bike is 1 year old.
Check the teeth on the cassette too. You could change chain and see if it behaves with the cassette

personally I just get the LBS to change both when I start getting issues with slipping and whatnot

Top Bottom