Does chain matter?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Check the teeth on the cassette too. You could change chain and see if it behaves with the cassette

personally I just get the LBS to change both when I start getting issues with slipping and whatnot
They "look" ok but I know its hard to tell if you don't know what you are looking for.
I was under the impression that if you changed your chain before 0.75 then you should get a couple of chains out of the same cassette. We shall see I guess.

OP
OP
B

beany_bot

Veteran
Why are bikes so ridiculously compliated?? Right, this is the chain I currently have I belive. on my 9 speed bike. But it specifically says "Shimano, Campagnolo and SRAM 6 / 7 / 8-speed derailleur systems" https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/1141406709...lshCFyAASKGMS6s54EimqeYmIwB5McpBoC-aEQAvD_BwE
so by all aocunt shouldn't work on my bike? as it's a nine speed. But it came with this chain from the fatory. sigh.

Why are there so many different bloody options.

vickster

Legendary Member
Use the KMC site not a random eBay link :okay:
(Is that the model number on the chain, decathlon’s specs on their website are sometimes clearly a case of lost in translation!!)

vickster

Legendary Member
As far as I’m aware 9+ speed chains are slightly narrower than 8- speed chains as the gaps between the cogs are smaller. Take the advice from @vickster
So maybe a narrow 8 speed chain is the same as 9 speed, hence ok for Decathlon to use :scratch:

ChrisEyles

Guru
A 9 speed chain will definitely work on an 8 or 9 speed drive train, and isn't much more expensive, so if in doubt go with this.

The internal width (the holes the sprocket teeth locate into) is the same for 8/9 speed AFAIK, it's just the external width that's narrower for 9 speed to fit between the more closely spaced sprockets.

I've mixed and matched 8/9 speed components with no issues in the past, though wouldn't try a regular 8 speed chain on a 9 speed cassette.

Never heard of an 8 speed narrow chain before!

avecReynolds531

Veteran
That’s the one he linked at Wiggle (Merlin will charge delivery on £9)
With respect, £9 delivery doesn't seem right: I've checked it - as I'm looking for a chain anyway - Wiggle & Merlin will both be charging £2.99 for delivery.

The OP will still save £4 for a KMC X9 chain.

I've got no affiliation with Merlin at all: only a happy customer for many years.

vickster

Legendary Member
With respect, £9 delivery doesn't seem right: I've checked it - as I'm looking for a chain anyway - Wiggle & Merlin will both be charging £2.99 for delivery.

The OP will still save £4 for a KMC X9 chain.

I've got no affiliation with Merlin at all: only a happy customer for many years.
I have no issue with Merlin either, far better than Wiggle as you can actually phone Merlin unlike Wiggle :rolleyes:.

Maybe it read oddly but if you only spend £9 you have to pay delivery. The OP has free next day delivery from Wiggle I believe, but yes it’s still more by a whole pound, unless the next day is crucial

Top Bottom