Does Christmas bring out the mortality/morbidity in people ?

What does Christmas do to you ?

• Good

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Ok

• Shite / crap

• Total voters
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
crap

Arch

Married to Night Train
I like Christmas, I like family tradition and food and all that. So it's generally good for me. Tom disliked it, he would always prefer to spend it getting drunk on a bottle of sherry. Last year I invited him and an another friend to join me and Mum for the day, and we simply ate and watched telly and relaxed, and he said it was one of the best Christmasses he'd ever had, which is something I treasure. This year's going to hard, without him, but I'll have little Oli to fuss over, and family around me, and if I have to go outside to have a little crap moment on my own, well, so be it.

I think you just have to make Christmas what you want. If you're lonely, or sad, or whatever, the enforced jollity and family-ness can be horrible, so you have to try and avoid that, and try and work it so that you can be doing what you'd prefer - even if that is being alone and getting pleasantly sloshed and watching tv all day.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I love it with Mrs F and the kids, and her rellies (cos we have a laugh, play games, go out for walks, etc etc). My rellies on the other hand like simply to watch telly and get pissed, which I find dreadfully dull, I'm afraid! I'll have a drink of course, but don't see the attraction in getting wasted and sitting in front of the box farting and getting dozy. (though I tend to contribute towards greenhouse gases quite a lot :blush:)

Tetedelacourse

It's ok. Better with kids involved. Have to put up with inlaws (ChrisKH I hear ya mate) but I like the food and booze. Can't say I'm distressed when it's all over though.

longers

Legendary Member
There wasn't an option for moods swinging wildly between Good , Ok and Shite/Crap. Which is what happens.
They used to be great, last years was awfull and I am going to be happier this year :blush:.

OP
OP
Elmer Fudd

Elmer Fudd

Miserable Old Bar Steward
I tend to hate the run up, but come Xmas Eve I get into the full swing of things.

Christianity (or the Pauline version of it that has gained ascendance over Christ's original message of "Be nice to each other") is a conceptually flawed, misanthropic and mysogynistic, life-denying, ascetic death cult that glorifies violent death. It's main icon is an image of a man horribly tortured to death, and its saints are people who have been burned, tortured or otherwise despatched thanks to intolerance. It has little relevance to the human condition, then or now, serving instead as a framework to keep people in fear and ignorance, fatalistic to the misery of their everyday lives and the social injustice that characterise exploitative capitalism and feudalism, in the promise of a better life in the hereafter. For me, the abiding image of Christianity is that of a beggar starving to death on the steps of a Cathedral while the priests and congregation walk around him.

I've just re-read the post and realised that the title says "Christmas" and not "Christianity", but I'm not going to edit.

I quite like Christmas - nice to sit down and think of people important to you and send them cards and presents.

Noodley

Aye, Chistmas is fine. Like most of the rest of things. It can be a bit stressful I suppose, but then again so can most other things. Take care of yourself, keep safe and relax. Don't get yourself worked up, take it easy, move on with your life.

Big Bren

As Arch says, for people who are vulnerable or isolated, Christmas can reinforce the unpleasantness of their situation and exacerbate feelings of distress or sadness; in those instances, I guess Christmas is an unwanted reminder of the things one desperately wants but for some reason, can't have.

Personally, I enjoy the nice long break from work and spending time with my family. The religious aspect passes me by, quite deliberately.

Top Bottom