Does cycling affect your running ability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
If you are used to running, then extra training on the bike will probably help overall. I was a club runner for many years before I tried triathlon. I did a whole load of running PBs the season after starting triathlon training. The extra cardio-vascular fitness more than made up for running fewer miles in training.

I do think it's much harder for someone coming from a cycling background to build their running up to a good level than it is the other way round.

Hip Priest

Veteran
Why would you want to run if you've got a bike?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Cycling can't damage my running ability, as I never had any of the latter, due to very flat feet :rolleyes:. The last time I had a bike fitting, they prescribed inner soles with the maximum arch support, as the flat feet were affecting my pedaling technique.

rudis_dad

Are you not aware of The Rules? I quote Rule #42 - "Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture."

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
I'd agree with the advice above. I'm fit enough to run a decent time, but every time I do a Parkrun (Google it), I end up with really bad DOMS, mainly due to the lack of frequency in doing them.

I can't imagine that I would ever have got this fit if I had started running rather than cycling.

jdtate101

Ex-Fatman
I run about 10miles per week and find that it does improve my cardio more than cycling as my body is now used to cycling lots and can do so more efficiently, so the running gets me out of that comfort zone. I do find my legs getting tired fasters especially on uphill drags, as it's a different set of muscles used.
I think doing both is really helpful, and cross training is a proven method that most athletes use. But if pushed, I would always prefer to get out on the bike rather than run. If I'm time poor and need to squeeze in some exercise, then a quick run can accomplish more in a shorter time.

I mainly started so I could exercise whilst away from home with work......you can't always take your bike with you.

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Just had to Google what DOMS meant: I hadn't come across that term before. At least now I have a fancy term for what ails me after one of my longer rides.

Sandra6

Veteran
Are you not aware of The Rules? I quote Rule #42 - "Also keep in mind that one should only swim in order to prevent drowning, and should only run if being chased. And even then, one should only run fast enough to prevent capture."
The running ap I use is called Zombies, run! I guess that makes it ok so long as I fully believe there is a zombie after me.

Crankarm

Guru
I think if you could do either regularly for say 30 mins or an hour, running is by far the better for general fitness. Plus it is much better at toning your body muscles. Not to say that cycling is bad, it is not. Running is just better.

So to answer the OP, running can improve cycling more than cycling can improve running IME.

Top Bottom