Does cycling affect your running ability?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gavroche

Getting old but not past it
I had to run the other day ( not very far mind you) but I was absolutely exhausted after 100 metres, which is the reason for my title. To be fair, I hate running and only do it as a last resort. I much prefer cycling, it gets you there quicker and is more enjoyable.

If I don't run I can't run. The same is not true of cycling.

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
I would say no they are completely different. The only way to get better at running, is to run.

jay clock

Massive member
I do a lot of both as I am a a triathlete. If you are a fit cyclist you still need to build up slowly on the running part. However you are likely to be fitter than the average new runner, and have a stronger heart.

I do find that my running times in triathlons are a bit slower, but not obscenely so. Last year I did my local 10k and went for a 32km bike ride as a warm up = result was only a couple of minutes down on my 10k pb, and I had trained less too

Tommy2

Über Member
I have just started cycling and have found that my running has improved, maybe to do with being able to exercise my legs more as in I can work them without having to take the same sort of battering they do when running, and maybe the active recovery side if it getting the blood flowing to the muscles on recovery days without over stressing them.

Matthew_T

"Young and Ex-whippet"
I used to run and found that a little bit of cycling before hand actually makes you run a bit longer. However, I am a very fast sprinter and can often outrun the kid on the bike who shouts at me so that I can catch up and give him a belt around the head.
I am a fast runner but get out of breathe very quickly if I am pushing it. I much prefer cycling.

Berties

Fast and careful!
I have always found running helps cycling ,but cycling does not help running,I have just settled into 30 plus miles a week running due to the weather but it took me time to get my times down,but I always fall straight back into high mileage quick times on the bike

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Cardiovascular wise you will be well developed, but your muscles and connective tissue will not be well adapted to the stresses. This poses a problem for many people who are relativelly good cyclists and make the transition to, or add running to their sports. They go running and don't find it all that taxing, so they run further/faster too soon, next thing they know they are crippled with injury because they pushed beyond what their muscles and connective tissues could withstand.

T.M.H.N.E.T

Rainbows aren't just for world champions
Cardiovascular wise you will be well developed, but your muscles and connective tissue will not be well adapted to the stresses. This poses a problem for many people who are relativelly good cyclists and make the transition to, or add running to their sports. They go running and don't find it all that taxing, so they run further/faster too soon, next thing they know they are crippled with injury because they pushed beyond what their muscles and connective tissues could withstand.
And bone density due to impacts that cycling doesn't have :angel:

Sandra6

Veteran
I used to think anyone could run, just as anyone can cycle, but then I tried running and ended up seriously damaging my legs, so I "rested" and only cycled and now I'm learning to run again - more slowly.
I'm a lot fitter thanks to the cycling so learning to run is an option, without the cycling going up the stairs would still be knackering.

Top Bottom