Cycle friendly UK hotels - your experience ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have heard there are UK hotel chains which allow you to take bikes into your room for security.
Also that some provide other safe storage space elsewhere.

Anyone got any practical experience of this, either good or bad?
What hotel chain did you use (or that you know of) that takes bikes?
Would you leave a bike in the room and feel it was secure if you went out? (thinking of cleaning staff leaving doors open & distracted).

Thanks.

Premier inn let me take my bike into my room when I did Ride London, mind you that was 2017! As long as you store it nicely and don’t get chain marks and mud everywhere, I’d imagine most places to be accommodating.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Ask. Never had an issue. Stayed at a couple of 'posh' hotels with work, and they have allowed me to store the bike overnight in a conference room. I did email both first to check it was OK. One even got an old dust sheet out for the bike when I said it would be full of mud by the time I arrived. When 'bike packing' both hotels happily let us store bikes either in the back yard or cellar.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Premier Inns and Travelodge both allow clean bikes (Premier say they'll help you with facilities to clean a dirty one) in the rooms. The one Wetherspoons I've ridden to allowed bikes in the rooms. Holiday Inn found space in a secure room. Others have been helpful if I've warned them in advance.

Punkawallah

Über Member
Premier Inn at East Grinstead would have, if they’d had any rooms when I got there.
Shout out to everyone at the Star Inn next door, who could not have been more obliging to a dusty, sweaty, road weary cyclist and were happy to take me and the bike in for a beer and bite to eat.
The Crown Plaza up the road stored the bike in a conference room, no problem.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
As above I've used Premier Inn successfully a few times. I've always informed them in advance that I'll have a bike (they never seemed particularly interested but I did it anyway) and asked for a ground floor room.

Jenkins

Legendary Member
Can confirm Travelodge allow it as the Milton Keynes staff didn't bat an eyelid when I carried my folder into the foyer

refuse my folder

Thats good, though I suppose as they are often compact, if covered you could also sneak them in as disguised luggage if anyone got difficult. What folder is it?

I have a mini velo which will be more compact than a normal bike for storing in a room, but it does not actually fold. People often mistake it for a folder due to its appearance and infrequency. I hope if I get to try out some overnight trips later this year (not certain yet) its smallish quirky look will endear it to receptionists :girl:

Tenkaykev

Guru
IMG_2958.jpeg

Never had an issue in any hotel in the UK. One ‘posh’ one advised that I may be liable for an additional cleaning charge if I let the bike drop muck, oil etc in the room. I had a plastic sheet with me that I placed on the floor underneath the bike so it was a non issue.

Only places I had an issue was in France (had to lock it up outside in a central courtyard that got locked overnight) and Tenerife (had to leave it in a locked storage cupboard).

Top Bottom