does cycling kill upper body muscle?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
star84

star84

Regular
thanks guys i appericiate all your advice btw i think as our faces are defferent so our minds and bodies are..this might sound weird but since i was born i have never watch what i eat i eat anything i feel like eatin at any given time sometimes i even eat in the mid night.i have a friend who will never eat once its pass 7pm and still get fat while me that doesnt watch my intake looks more athletic than him the only area i notice fat is my face and belly and thanks to cycling now my belly is getting flat really quick infact after eating my belly doesnt shoot out as it use to and this is jus from cycling for only a month let alone in 6months boi i guess i will get 8packs and not even 6 :laugh:...this is what im thinking/planing i will continue cycling as i want that nice looking cyclist tighs/legs and i will get some dumbells and do push up every morning and evening,30 to an hour TT session everyday if i can btw i wrk from home so there is more than enough time for that and on weekends 60 to 100 miles ride meaning 30-50 each on saturdays/sundays, sounds like a good plan??

OP
OP
star84

star84

Regular
As some others have said - if you're still doing exercises on your upper body you'll probably find that it's not muscle you're losing but the fat surrounding it. I was/still am quite well built on top. I've adjusted my training since cycling distances rather than just commuting and have noticed my overall shape change. I, like you, seem to have lost a good percentage of bulk from the upper body, which in my case seems to have been redistributed to a fair set of leg muscles. But although I've lost bulk on the top half I haven't lost any strength.

Personally I like it that way and IMO it looks better on me and I know I feel better. What anyone else thinks I don't really care!!

yea i get what you mean if im honest cycling is the only exercise i feel more encouraged to do at anytime is very enjoyable,i love the fresh air the spinning the hill challenges strenght/lively feeling after a long ride and all the benefit of it i never thought i would love :bicycle:this much ,im jus shock at how much bulk have lost in just a month if i can lost this much in a month what would happen in 6months lol i will try defferent things jus to retain atleast 50 to 60% upper body muscle as i dont want my arms/chest to disapear as i still wanna look :becool:

spaceman77

After Cycling only 100 miles a week (which is not a lot) for one month , I started seeing smaller arms. It seems leg muscles require so much blood-flow,, that fingers begin to numb. But that stopped after about a month.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
There was a guy in my old club who had been a power-lifter. He joined the club inititially to gain cardio fitness, but soon found be had the legs and the attitude to be a pretty serious rider. He was 16-stone of muscle when he joined and dropped to 12-stone within a year, mostly from the upper body, and the following season was regional road-race champion. Unfortunately family-commitments prevented him for taking it further...

Davidc

Guru
Common problem.

When it bothered me (many years ago) I used to go swimming twice a week and do 1km breast stroke plus 1km crawl each session, taking care not to use too much leg power.

Worked quite well.

Top Bottom