Does Engine Oil Keep?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Clue is in the question, had my scooter on SORN for about 3 years, now putting it back on the road for various reasons, got a bottle of 2 stroke engine oil that's nearly full but about 4 years old. Does this stuff keep or am I better off buying a new one?

longers

Legendary Member
Mix it with creosote and paint your fence. Favourite top tip of an old colleague, he'd try and get it into any conversation he could.
Not sure if they still sell creosote though.

lukesdad

longers said:
Mix it with creosote and paint your fence. Favourite top tip of an old colleague, he'd try and get it into any conversation he could.
Not sure if they still sell creosote though.

NOt sposed to but you can stiil get it if u know where to look. Wilkos do a substitute not ery good.

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
User3143 said:
I know petrol can go off after a long time, don't know about oil though - sorry. You'll only need a small bottle anyways for a ped, better to get a new one imo.

On some site i went on about servicing petrol lawn mowers, they say to just have enough petrol to last 3 months, because after that it goes stale:wacko:
**** that, my little can of it lasts a year or more, i dont see any ill effects of using it then either.

MGBLemonrider

The oil in the bottle should be fine.
Your gearbox oil might benefit from a change depending on total mileage and if a regular service item, some are effectively seal for life.
If you had a four stroke I'd recommend an engine oil change, but as you don't.
The oil in question is relatively cheap so any doubts change it.
I'd expect you'd have more problems from oil seals that have dried out, especially fork seals unless you've got leading link forks, dependant on how it's been stored.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Even if oil does oxidise, with the bottle being nearly full there wouldn't have been much oxygen available in the air space so I'd go ahead and use it.

gbb

Legendary Member
I was always told that storage of opened containers 'could' lead to moisture getting in and degrading the oil.
I think it would be extreme for this to happen, but it's a possibility.

Oil should store unopened for several years.

For the sake of a few quid, i think i'd replace it anyway

02GF74

Über Member
you'd have though oil that has been underground for millions of years would last a few months in a bottle?

Top Bottom