Does exercise bike mileage count towards yearly Strava mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Venod

Eh up
Strava really should have 2 separate totals, it wouldn’t be that hard to do.
You can filter your miles its easy to see how many virtual and how many real miles you have done, it might not be obvious to other people, but that's not a problem.

CXRAndy

Guru
I cant be arsed separating the rides. Its obvious to those who follow my Strava, what is indoors and what is outside.

I personally count indoor far more valuable than outdoors. It shows when I spend 2,3 months working on my turbo, to find outdoor riding relatively easy

Jimidh

Veteran
Why does it matter whether someone else thinks it counts or not. You are only measuring yourself against yourself. I count both and as I’m consistent it means that I’m comparing apples with apples.

stephec

Legendary Member
If it's acceptable to you to ride some 'miles' on an exercise bike and load them onto Strava as a manual entry then carry on. What anyone else thinks is completely irrelevant.
This, you can close the thread now, unless willy waving is also a consideration.

Milzy

Guru
It makes me laugh seeing people's average speeds and claimed power going through the roof in the winter on Strava as they start logging their Zwift rides.
By all means use a turbo or exercise bike and record the activity to motivate, they are great for targeted training, but it isn't directly comparable to banging out miles on the road or trail.
Well the speeds will be wrong due to no atmosphere & wind etc but the power is +- 2% on a decent power meter.

Indoors miles don't count for me, it's easy to rattle them off depending on the resistance settings etc. Time and/or power is a better way to compare. But if you want to use them, hey ho, as long as you're not comparing them to someone on a completely different indoors or out set up, go ahead.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Well the speeds will be wrong due to no atmosphere & wind etc but the power is +- 2% on a decent power meter.
Yep, with a power meter you use on the turbo and outside like for like, but a lot of the cheaper turbos with built in power don't seem to be all that accurate or they need calibration.

JtB

Prepare a way for the Lord
As far as I’m aware Boris has not yet introduced any UK legislation since leaving the EU to prohibit static miles from counting towards the overall Strava miles, so do whatever floats your boat. Certainly my hard earned WattBike miles (which are more difficult than my cycled miles) count towards my overall Strava miles (not that I have a clue what they ever add up to anyway).

johnblack

Über Member
I log mine on Connect which is only for me, as I use them to track my progress and performance against previous efforts, I have to add miles and cadence manually. But I don’t add them on Strava, because I can’t be bothered and I have no need as I already have a record of them.

Top Bottom