Does exercise bike mileage count towards yearly Strava mileage?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Strava counts it. Personally I would keep it completely separate and perhaps only measure time and power. Resistance on one indoors trainer/ bike is different from another and is very different to outside where you do an actual distance. But but hey ho, do what motivates you, virtual miles are better for your mind and body than no miles :okay:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
A watt is a watt pushed no matter what.
Agree, it's a measure of exertion/energy expenditure/whatever.
Doesn't particularly matter how you measure it.

(but Watts are not miles)

PaulSB

Legendary Member
A watt is a watt pushed no matter what.

Yes. I'd agree but a watt isn't a mile.

If it's acceptable to you to ride some 'miles' on an exercise bike and load them onto Strava as a manual entry then carry on. What anyone else thinks is completely irrelevant.

I absolutely agree with this.

The thread title though asked if exercise bike miles count towards yearly totals. While I don't mind how individuals treat this I just feel road riding is miles the rest is exercise and strength building.

I'm not someone who gives kudos for every ride posted. I only do it for those where I know the effort which must have taken place. Where I know a comparison. On Zwift etc. I have no idea what is an achievement, I've no comparison so I never give kudos on indoor miles.

The one exception is when I know someone is working to come back from injury or accident. That is very much intended as encouragement.

OP
OP
simon the viking
Thanks for all the comments..... seems 50/50 split...

A few people follow on strava me but as i only really use it to track my mileage.. i cant see anyboy getting uppity if i do upload the odd ride.

To be honest i think it will sit in a corner collecting dust again but who knows?

And I'd still prefer a treadmill^_^ (or interactive turbo)

mustang1

Guru
Cycling is a bit like being a pilot. You can sit in a flight simulator but it won't count towards your flight hours like when you're training for a PPL for example.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
As mentioned upthread. Turbo miles are quality miles. Outside miles are bike handling and social skills as well as the ethereal benefits of being outside.

And after all, they are your stats so it shouldn’t matter to anyone where they come from. It all has health benefits.

Stompier

As others have said, indoor training is better measured in terms of time spent rather than miles cycled. But these are your metrics, so the only thing that matters is that you measure them consistently.

Venod

Eh up
I disagree, time is harder (maybe) on a turbo miles not so.

I don't know what turbo you use, but I have ridden the same routes on the turbo as on the road, the times are very close, but uphill is always slower and harder on the turbo, downhill is quicker, no brakiing etc, this is using a Tacx Neo.

Venod

Eh up
A few people follow on strava me but as i only really use it to track my mileage.. i cant see anyboy getting uppity if i do upload the odd ride.

I save Turbo rides as Virtual rides in Strava, using Tacx software it loads them automaticaly as Virtual, to compare turbo rides with road rides I upload the file to Garmin Connect then export it to a TCX file, then load it to Strava. (good for comparing segment times)

OP
OP
simon the viking
I nearly talked her in to a turbo trainer with her Boardman Race on it, but we both decided reluctantly it wouldn't be practical... we were going to get a cheap exercise bike from Argos when Mrs V spotted a Tunturi E5 on Ebay at £45 original price over £600 bargain bought on buy it now at 5
0' clock and fetched locally at 7....

Shes about to give it a blast!

Milzy

Guru
Yes. I'd agree but a watt isn't a mile.

I absolutely agree with this.

The thread title though asked if exercise bike miles count towards yearly totals. While I don't mind how individuals treat this I just feel road riding is miles the rest is exercise and strength building.

I'm not someone who gives kudos for every ride posted. I only do it for those where I know the effort which must have taken place. Where I know a comparison. On Zwift etc. I have no idea what is an achievement, I've no comparison so I never give kudos on indoor miles.

The one exception is when I know someone is working to come back from injury or accident. That is very much intended as encouragement.
You could go down hill for a mile & turn the cranks a degree & push 1 watt.
Getting the K’s in is good but quality exercise is better weather indoor or outdoor. Strava really should have 2 separate totals, it wouldn’t be that hard to do.

OP
OP
simon the viking
The exercise bike has got loads of program settings as expected of (an old) top of the range bike.. so that wiuld simulate different routes with uphill sections etc... just no paper manual and cant be ar***d to print one off the net...

So I'll just keep pedalling while watching tv

Top Bottom