Does getting a Hybrid make me a hippy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"
Just ordered a new company car. I asked for - and much to my surprise - got a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. I am of course getting this for the environment and not for the tax break. Anyone got one, had one, know somebody with one? Will my armpit hair grow immediately and will I smell like stale mushrooms the day I get it or is that more of a gradual thing?

I've read that many Outlanders were bought as company cars and handed back after 3 year with the charging cable still in it's wrapper. Are hybrids practical for daily high mileage use or more of an aspiration?

Will I be able to get the bike in the back?

D

Deleted member 1258

I saw the thread title and thought this was about bikes, I've no idea about the car.

Last edited by a moderator:

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Who knows ?

who cares ?

About the 'hippy' bit.??

Imagine being so image-concious :shy:

Better question.

Does it make you happy.? :rolleyes:

Drago

Legendary Member
Mrs D's T8 Polestar plug in hybrid has turned her into a slavering girl racer. Im glad she pays for the tyres, because 416 horses and 2.5 tonnes makes short work of them.

Im not sure the battery range on the Goutlander, but Mrs D works 6 miles away and easily gets to work and back 2 days running without charging. She only fires up the peteol engine once a week to visit her folks. She last put petrol in it in February and only last weekend mentuoned to me that she might need to refill over the next week or so. According to the display its averaged a little north of 90mpg sunce she got it, which is short of Volvos claim but still astonishing for a car of its size and performance. Hell, a Leaf only does 115-120 mpg-e (energy equivalent). Used properly, the plug in hybrids work very well, but as you say a lot of people don't bother because theyre too dense/lazy.

In a way its it's nice. Next time the weather is really hot watch how many electric car drivers have the aircon off and their windows doen as they desperately try to eke out some range. No such worries for you, as the petrol motor means you can run lights, aircon, heater, coffe maker, pizza oven, aluminium smelting plant etc and not have to worry.

Probably great for you as a company car, but not something Id want to own. Mitsubishi are pulling out of the UK and europe in a couple of years time, so there'll be no tech support and its not the sort of vehicle you'd entrust to Fred in a Shed. On the other hand, if a buyer is very brave that could make them a future bargain.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

Mrs D's T8 Polestar plug in hybrid has turned her into a slavering girl racer. Im glad she pays for the tyres, because 416 horses and 2.5 tonnes makes short work of them.

Im not sure the battery range on the Goutlander, but Mrs D works 6 miles away and easily gets to work and back 2 days running without charging. She only fires up the peteol engine once a week to visit her folks. She last put petrol in it in February and only last weekend mentuoned to me that she might need to refill over the next week or so. According to the display its averaged a little north of 90mpg sunce she got it, which is short of Volvos claim but still astonishing for a car of its size and performance. Hell, a Leaf only does 115-120 mpg-e (energy equivalent). Used properly, the plug in hybrids work very well, but as you say a lot of people don't bother because theyre too dense/lazy.

In a way its it's nice. Next time the weather is really hot watch how many electric car drivers have the aircon off and their windows doen as they desperately try to eke out some range. No such worries for you, as the petrol motor means you can run lights, aircon, heater, coffe maker, pizza oven, aluminium smelting plant etc and not have to worry.

Probably great for you as a company car, but not something Id want to own. Mitsubishi are pulling out of the UK and europe in a couple of years time, so there'll be no tech support and its not the sort of vehicle you'd entrust to Fred in a Shed. On the other hand, if a buyer is very brave that could make them a future bargain.
Yeah I'd heard they were pulling out but we've been assured there will be full after-sales for the 3 years I'll have the car. One of the reasons I chose the Outlander is I need the space in the back to get the wife's electric wheelchair in. Reading up last night, charging points seem to be a bit of a nightmare with loads of different kinds supplied by different companies using different apps and different plugs. Then there seems to be quite a high proportion of charging points out of order at any one time :sad:

Drago

Legendary Member
Ditto, me old china. The main reason we went for the XC90 was because we could fit Mrs D's wheelchair, the dog, and a modicum of shopping in at the same time.

Not that we were given a huge amount of choice as my Dad bought it for us, but he did consult before generously selling a kidney.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Are hybrid all that green since the electricity is generated from Petrol?

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

This is a plug-in type, the engine isn't really used to charge the batteries. But yes, the majority of hybrids on the market seem to be the self-charging type which kinda defeats the purpose.

gzoom

Über Member
This is a plug-in type, the engine isn't really used to charge the batteries. But yes, the majority of hybrids on the market seem to be the self-charging type which kinda defeats the purpose.

The Toyota self charging hybrids run atkinson combustion cycle vs otto cycle, therefore are more thermally efficient. The down side is a lack of torque which Toyota compensate by putting in an electric motor. Interms of thermal efficiency the Toyota units are close to diesel but without the additional exhaust outputs of diesels.

In answer to hybrids been associated with 'hippes', I doubt any 'Hippy' would be driving any one of these hybrids.....

JudgementDay-holytrinity_G1.jpg

As for full blown EVs...

There is currently a whole storm in a tea cup mess around if a near 2.5 ton 5 seater Tesla Model Plaid S can hit 0-60 mph in 1.99 second or 2.1 seconds with roll out, its a real world problem we all worry about every day :laugh:

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/he...-0-60-in-199sec-but-its-still-stupidly-quick/

Hybrid and EVs are making racing car level performance available to all, though its not entirely clearly any one needs a car that can do 0-100mph in under 10 seconds for popping to the shops :surrender:.

Last edited:

gzoom

Über Member
Next time the weather is really hot watch how many electric car drivers have the aircon off and their windows doen as they desperately try to eke out some range.

You really have zero idea about EVs do you!

The range drop in any EV is highest at high speed (above the UK speed limit), not when crawling in traffic with the air con on.

We spent 5hr+ in our EV this half term coming up the M4/5 at sub 20mph, air con was on all the way, infact it was the petrol cars owners whom all had their windows open. A few years ago 4hrs of having the air con on during a heat wave used roughly 6% energy, so essentially I can keep the air con running for over 2 days without depleting the battery.

If you want to bash EVs, please stick to facts rather than random guessing!!

48153071391_96091e61af_c_d.jpg

Drago

Legendary Member
Our olde Pious of 13 years ago would do 70mpg or a touch more if driven with care, so it did the deed ok. It would even run for a mile or so on just the batteries.

A bit odd to drive though. The power switching was seamless and a technical marvel, but instead of the typical Otto cycle engine the valve timing was set up to mimic the Atkinson cycle (not a true Atkinson engine as they had a normal single fixed conrod per piston, but the end result was the same) and it gave a weird power delivery. Definitely a car the required languid driving to access its best, which suited me perfectly but Mrs D has a heavier right foot than me and took a quick dislike to it. I much preferred it to a small bore diesel, much less gruff.

Mrs D's Volvo will recharge itself, but I think it uses the brakes and engjne braking to charge rather than the petrol engine and takes a while to replenish the batteries on its own (I think thats howmit is). However, even with an empty battery itll still take electrical power from the alternator to assist the petrol engine. Its an odd set up and I don't drive enough to get cosy with it, but it seems to deliver the goods.

You really have zero idea about EVs do you!

Er, I think I do.

Weekend before last we went to Dorset for a weekend with friends. 2/3 of the way there there were phoning us because they wanted to stop and charge, and tried to persuade us into a leg stretch. No thanks, we'll press on.

A few miles later there were getting very anxious and did exactly that, everything off and windows open. I doubt it made much difference but the did it anyway, and once we'd noticed it we started watching out for other Teslas and we saw 3 more that weekend in vloing hot weather with the windows down. Now, either theirnaircon has packed up of theyre driving in the heat on the motorway at 50mph with the windows down for some other reason (could be they're worried about something dropping off it, well, they are made in a tent).

So please enlighten us why 3 of the 4 Teslas we saw on the return journey were going relatively slowly with the windows down? You claim to be the Oracle and accuse me of ignorance, so you tell me.

Our friends stopped at Wareham but one of the 2 chargers they found didn't work, and the other had a regular car parked against it so they couldn't access it. We carried on the the hotel and the jouned us 3 hours later.

Then they spent all weekend wittering on about whether they would get home in one hit. This seemed unlikely to me as they hadn't managed one way and the same journey in reverse was unlikely to be any kinder. Every 5 minutes they mentioned it again.

And I was right.

We got back without stopping, still on the same tank of fuel we'd bought in February, despite the car being used daily since then. Never had to use a public charge once, even on 700 mile journeys home to shetland.

So when Mrs D's Polestar 2 comes in September we'll be keeping the T8 for journeys of that ilk, and for the huge boot. And the nicest interior of any
production car anywhere. Makes the Tesla ibterior look like some kind of sub Ikea pound shop chic in comparison,

Last edited:

icowden

Veteran
I've read that many Outlanders were bought as company cars and handed back after 3 year with the charging cable still in it's wrapper. Are hybrids practical for daily high mileage use or more of an aspiration?
Will I be able to get the bike in the back?

They are practical for daily high mileage as they have a combustion engine for that. You get about 25 miles of range on pure electric. The petrol range is about 40mpg as the battery makes it really heavy. It does have regenerative braking and you can run in a mode where the electric and petrol engines work together.
I suppose if your company is paying for the petrol why bother charging the EV bit - also if you don't have a driveway, charging the EV overnight is going to be somewhat trickier.

It has a big boot - the battery is where the rear folding seats would usually go in a non PHEV.
You can always get a bike rack though...

Top Bottom