Does getting a Hybrid make me a hippy?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Think I’ll stick to my 3litre 4series diesel then which has averaged 46mpg over 44000 miles and can go 500miles between top ups
I'm happy with my Golf hybrid and the mpg that produces, but impractical for @Joey Shabadoo 's requirements as I know when take my Mum out. But I am also currently in the fortunate position of Mrs B having a Tiguan for mile eating and load carrying and when I drive it, between 50 and 55 mpg.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Ok - road report on the Outlander. Two months or so in and just about to hit 6000 miles.

1) Economy - hahahahaha
2) Ride Quality - Very comfortable and smooth but feels vague when maneuvering at slow speeds - don't feel that "connection" between right boot and wheels.
3) Economy - hahahahaha
4) Practicality - have to partially fold wife's electric wheelchair to fit in the back and because it's so high it's a fair heave to get the thing up the ramps. It's effectively the same interior dimensions as a VW Touran, but higher.
5) Economy - hahahaha
6) Charging - it gets charged every night at home and occasionally gets a fast charge to 80% when I'm out. The fast charge takes 25 minutes and lasts for about 15 minute's driving. Didn't bother at all on the Spanish road trip as it would have meant getting a few French and Spanish Apps and working them out. Just couldn't be bothered. An overnight charge from zero to full costs about £2 and gives a nominal 25 mile range.
7) Economy - it's really, really not economical for the driving I do. The 3500 mile road trip returned 32 mpg. More regular 300 mile days starting with a full charge give 38 mpg. If I were doing 100 miles or so a week, picking up kids from school, shopping etc, then this would be a very, VERY good car as most driving would be in EV mode.

Seems to me the only hybrid benefit is the comparatively low company car tax.

Any open road or distance motoring will be petrol engine only, returning poor economy due to the extra weight of the batteries.

A hybrid could work for school run/local shopping journeys only, provided the owner could be bothered to charge it every 20 miles.

OP
OP
Joey Shabadoo

Joey Shabadoo

My pronouns are "He", "Him" and "buggerlugs"

Any open road or distance motoring will be petrol engine only, returning poor economy due to the extra weight of the batteries.

A hybrid could work for school run/local shopping journeys only, provided the owner could be bothered to charge it every 20 miles.
Pretty much. My company car tax went from £370 per month to £180 (would have been around £80 if I lived in England)

Daninplymouth

Iv just bought a Toyota self charging hybrid so no need to plug it in.
Mine is the least eco model you can get yet so far all my trips have averaged 50mpg. They work even better around town, back to front to use ICE engines where crawling in stop start traffic drinks fuel my economy goes up now as it uses more electric. Done a short local trip tonight through the city centre and got 58mpg in my old car I’d be lucky to have seen 20 so happy so far and has a decent bit of go when needed.

byegad

Legendary Member
Checking i can get our tandem in a car is one of the first things i do :whistle:

Do get some strange looks from sales people but hey ho it's my money

@Joey Shabadoo can you please fit a bell so you can ring at cyclist as you approach in stealth mode :laugh:
Not that much of a joke!
We're on our second hybrid and driving it you need to be aware that you do indeed unwittingly 'sneak up' on people on bikes and walking. A polite toot is all that's needed to make them aware of your existence.
As to practicality for daily use while ours isn't a PHEV, merely a self charging hybrid, in the first year of having our Corolla Touring Sport we averaged 61.6mpg and used electric only motive power for 49% of the distance and 51% of the time. A PHEV should easily beat that.

Top Bottom