Does God exist?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
striker said:
ok. just be aware that it does matter to you and your future

No it doesn't! When you die, that's it. Life is a process, not a kind off hotel lobby for heaven. When you stop beating an egg there isn't some kind of essence of eggbeater that hangs around in the sky when you've finished. Life is just the same for us as for the rest of the animal kingdom.
In short, it may well matter to you and your future that you believe in this bloke who lives in the sky, but it doesn't matter to me and never will. And to suggest otherwise is, I'm afraid, patronising in the extreme, as if you're the one who's somehow got it right while all we poor deluded fools labour on under our burden of ignorance.

Jaded

striker said:
that is a question. i have no idea. but how did nothing become something? that is the bigger question.

Why do you think there was nothing?

Possibly there has always been something.

striker

Rhythm Thief said:
No it doesn't! When you die, that's it. Life is a process, not a kind off hotel lobby for heaven. When you stop beating an egg there isn't some kind of essence of eggbeater that hangs around in the sky when you've finished. Life is just the same for us as for the rest of the animal kingdom.
In short, it may well matter to you and your future that you believe in this bloke who lives in the sky, but it doesn't matter to me and never will. And to suggest otherwise is, I'm afraid, patronising in the extreme, as if you're the one who's somehow got it right while all we poor deluded fools labour on under our burden of ignorance.

sorry for sounding patronising, was not intended. one of the problems with forum based communication.

I personally disagree that humans are the same as an egg a chicken or any other animal in creation. we are different, we have a conscience and a soul. (IMO)

Jaded

striker said:
If you believe that then you go against most current accepted scientific understanding

Ok.

We have finally reached a stage where you might be able to enlighten me.

Can you elaborate?

Jaded said:
Yes. You are right.

It is actually easier to believe that there is a god(s) that makes us go to war and kill people, burn others at the stake, cut foreskins off, blow ourselves up, tax everyone to penury so we can build lovely houses for bishops and big stone columned god houses to bend down in, lock the swings up on a Sunday, divide Ireland into two.

I agree. Caterpillars are quite mad compared with the total, absolute and complete sense of religion.

1) So if its not god that is making us go to war and kill in the name of god why do we.

2) Burning is to stop them going to there heaven.

3) Some religions cut foreskins off for hygiene. Same as why pork is band in some religions it not becouse its bad for you (its not) it is just that in the time when it started they could not keep the pig for days. So it was going off.

4) ....

5) ....

6) Dividing Ireland into two has got naf all to do with religion. We (the english) tryed to take it 450 or so years ago and got there butts kicked so the english made it into a religious war so the Irish ( north and south) would fight it out. Just like we tryed to do with the scots in breading them out "primoris nox noctis" ( having sex with the wife in the first night)

striker

Jaded said:
Ok.

We have finally reached a stage where you might be able to enlighten me.

Can you elaborate?

the general scientific agreement as backed up by the 2006 nobel prize winners John Mather and George Smoot is that the Big Bang occured about 15 billion years ago.

What was there before the big bang is up for debate.

are you disagreeing with these Nobel Prize winners?

striker said:
the general scientific agreement as backed up by the 2006 nobel prize winners John Mather and George Smoot is that the Big Bang occured about 15 billion years ago.

What was there before the big bang is up for debate.

are you disagreeing with these Nobel Prize winners?

I presume you're angling towards all the atheists on here shuffling their feet and looking embarrassed and finally saying "we don't know" in a small voice. At which point you will say: "aha! told you! It must have been God that created the big bang!" or words to that effect.
So perhaps you can answer this. If God created the world (or the big bang, whichever you like), who created God and what was there before God "existed"?

striker

Rhythm Thief said:
I presume you're angling towards all the atheists on here shuffling their feet and looking embarrassed and finally saying "we don't know" in a small voice. At which point you will say: "aha! told you! It must have been God that created the big bang!" or words to that effect.
So perhaps you can answer this. If God created the world (or the big bang, whichever you like), who created God and what was there before God "existed"?

not at all. as i've said. i'm a physics graduate. i don't know either. but for people to dismiss a creator god due to scientific evidence is in my view unsubstatiated.

but to quote george smoot
"The observations were "evidence for the birth of the universe" and Smoot said on the importance of his discovery that "If you're religious, it's like looking at God."[8][9]"

striker

Rhythm Thief said:
You're speaking with some semblence of authority for someone who hasn't a clue.

again not intended. just simply trying to explain what i believe and why, and to try to explain why it is not simply belief in cosmic fairies.

you are obviously entitled to your beliefs, which you can defend, admirably.

faith, or lack of faith, is about a persons relationship, or not, to their creator, or not.

striker said:
again not intended. just simply trying to explain what i believe and why, and to try to explain why it is not simply belief in cosmic fairies.

you are obviously entitled to your beliefs, which you can defend, admirably.

faith, or lack of faith, is about a persons relationship, or not, to their creator, or not.

Sorry Striker. I seem to be in a combative mood tonight, for some reason.
I'll get back to you on this when I've had some sleep.:biggrin:

striker

Rhythm Thief said:
Sorry Striker. I seem to be in a combative mood tonight, for some reason.
I'll get back to you on this when I've had some sleep.:biggrin:

ditto, can't believe i've got to be up in 4 hours to go to work!!!!

Top Bottom