Does going through temporary lights count as RLJ...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Thomas meant semaphore signals and there is some truth in that.Generally the red is on the bottom (but not
always) to be at a more eyecatching level for the train driver.Remember sometimes there are yellow street lights and other lights in the backround that tend to blend in esp at night.

Gasman

Old enough to know better, too old to care!
In answer to the original question; I can't quote chapter and verse but I believe that temporary lights are only advisory while fixed lights are mandatory so you're not breaking the law by jumping them but if an accident results from your actions you're still in trouble.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Gasman said:
In answer to the original question; I can't quote chapter and verse but I believe that temporary lights are only advisory while fixed lights are mandatory so you're not breaking the law by jumping them but if an accident results from your actions you're still in trouble.

or flattened...

gbb

Legendary Member
col said:
Im not sure,but i was told,unless the temp lights are advertised in the paper,before they are used,thereis not not a legal requirment to go by them.I think like has been mentioned,its sensible to obey them anyway.

This used to be true, but the law was changed some years ago to give them equal status as fixed lights. They must be obeyed.
Up until a while ago, i thought they could be ignored in certain circumstances...not any more.

Freewheeler

LeeW said:
I wonder why the lights on train signals are called "aspects"?
And why is the red normally at the bottom?

I read somewhere that snow can build up on the hoods that shade the lights. If enough snow accumulates it can cover the next light up. Red at the bottom means it can never get covered in snow.

Top Bottom