Does Helmet normalisation deter cyclists?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Cool to see this agreement with the thread question.
Not an agreement, the operative wording being "seem more dangerous".

Except we don't, do we? We say we want (not require) separate lanes because:
· they encourage more cycling (induced demand theory among other things),
· they can allow us to save energy by bypassing queues of motorists and their fat lane-hogging vehicles more easily,
· they can allow us to save energy and time by bypassing signals that are unnecessary for cyclists and walkers,
· they remove us slightly from the main stream of air pollution and
· they're usually more fun because we don't need to watch what idiot drivers are doing quite as much.

I'd like to see a link to these cyclists who insist on requiring them, but I bet they're not on this forum, and their riding opportunities in the UK will be very limited.
You appear to be on agreement, with me, that seperate, segregated cycle facilities are insisted on because some cyclists, be they new or not feel unsafe being part of the traffic flow. The helmet wearing cyclist can be gone, out off sight within seconds, the seperate cycling facilities are there as a permanent reminder that cycling on the roads must be unsafe.
You're bringing the must get in front approach, often complained about, of car drivers over into cycling.

Search for the Leeds-Bradford Cycle Super Highway on here. With regards seperate, segregated cycle facilities being insisted on. Started by LCC, who also managed to get similar on The New York Road in Leeds.

It's easier attack a single person wearing something you don't agree with than it is the people who get the seperate facilities built.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whereas there does seem to be significant data to suggest that your head does better when padded if you are in an accident.
Interested to see your helmet: mine doesn't have any padding.

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
You appear to be on agreement, with me, that seperate, segregated cycle facilities are insisted on because some cyclists, be they new or not feel unsafe being part of the traffic flow.
No, at literally no point did I mention that in my post.

Search for the Leeds-Bradford Cycle Super Highway on here. With regards seperate, segregated cycle facilities being insisted on. Started by LCC, who also managed to get similar on The New York Road in Leeds.

It's easier attack a single person wearing something you don't agree with than it is the people who get the seperate facilities built.
The Leeds Bradford route is substandard shoot and I suspect it was built because some councils could bid for the money successfully, not any insistance of any cyclist.

And I don't attack single people wearing hard hats, but almost all of them collectively.

Top Bottom