Does Highway Code need updating....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
By popular demand, British bright beer. Looks magnificent too.

Kelham Island's brilliant Pale Rider.

In a pint.

No fruit.

Posh Stu's knees.

IMG_20170521_204532.jpg

tommaguzzi

Über Member
Pale rider is great but could i drink 7 of them........ yes but i would then be talking in Czechoslovakian and no one not even my self would understand me.
after long experience Easy Rider is the sensible way to go

are you in the Fat Cat?

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The Highway Code does not need updating, and probably never will.

It just needs adhering to.
Actually, I agree with what others said about the fact that motorists turning across a cycle path not having to give way: that's just stupid. Unfortunately, the same stupid law exists in Australia also.

Dan B

Disengaged member
The Highway Code does not need updating, and probably never will.

It just needs adhering to.
"Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so."

"You should wear a cycle helmet "

"
Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing." (In other words, don't set foot in the crossing until the traffic has stopped even though it need not stop until you have set foot on the crossing)

Tin Pot

Guru
The Highway Code and law forbids cycling on the pavement yet the police in Camden and most other places appear to turn a blind eye to it..... is it not better to clarify things one way or the other rather than have a law that everyone ignores? I can quite easily break the motor vehicle speed limit in a large number of places in town, think those 20mph zones. From a safety POV both mine and others should that be the case?

Reflectors and lights also spring to mind.
No

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
"Zebra crossings. Give traffic plenty of time to see you and to stop before you start to cross. Vehicles will need more time when the road is slippery. Wait until traffic has stopped from both directions or the road is clear before crossing. Remember that traffic does not have to stop until someone has moved onto the crossing." (In other words, don't set foot in the crossing until the traffic has stopped even though it need not stop until you have set foot on the crossing)
What genius came up with that? :scratch:

Beebo

Firm and Fruity
Lived in Germany for a few years, cyclist have the right of way at road junctions, vehicles must give way.
I have often wondered about this.
On boats you always give way to sail, because sailing boats are driven by the wind and thus less manoeuvreable.
Bikes are powered by the rider so it would make sense for the smaller less powerful transport to take precedence over motor vehicles.

Lozz360

Veteran
I don't have much practical experience of boats, but i suspect that right of way tends in practice to go to the larger vessel
Not at all. Powered boats must always give way to sail. However, common sense is needed. You would be very foolish to expect an oil tanker to manoeuvre out of the way if you were at the helm of, say, a 12ft. sailing dinghy.

Top Bottom