Does Highway Code need updating....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I don't have much practical experience of boats, but i suspect that right of way tends in practice to go to the larger vessel
Normally a courtesy of whoever is closer to the obstacle has right of way, but there are the equivalent of BMW drivers out there as well

image.jpg

The issue is WHO updates the Highway Code

It tends to be written by motorists, nit cyclists or horse riders. The CTC and others spent a lot of time and effort getting the present one "watered down" or helmets would have been a "must" along with Hi-Viz, and a number of other restrictions on cycling

The issue is WHO updates the Highway Code

It tends to be written by motorists, nit cyclists or horse riders. The CTC and others spent a lot of time and effort getting the present one "watered down" or helmets would have been a "must" along with Hi-Viz, and a number of other restrictions on cycling
Is that right? I thought the "must"s were all laws. Surely things can't get in the highway code as MUST unless they've been passed by parliament?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
What genius came up with that? :scratch:
No idea but I think the mechanics have slightly changed with the Traffic Signs Regulations and General Directions 2016, which also added parallel cycling crossings to zebras, so the code now arguably needs updating. They could dwell on the point that a cycle track/lane with its lines continuing across the junction has priority, too. And the clothing and "use crap tracks because they may be safer" rules need to die a firey death too.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Is that right? I thought the "must"s were all laws. Surely things can't get in the highway code as MUST unless they've been passed by parliament?
As I remember it, the proposed draft highway code changes about ten years ago included strongly worded advice to wear helmets & use cycle facilities which didn't actually say MUST but came pretty damn close, and the concern of the CTC and others was that the HC advice even when not law may be used "in evidence in any court proceedings under the Traffic Acts (see The road user and the law) to establish liability. This includes rules which use advisory wording such as ‘should/should not’ or ‘do/do not’."

https://www.camcycle.org.uk/newsletters/73/article15.html has a summary

Last edited:
I'm sure it needs updating. Do we really need handy advice for not snagging peasants in the starting handle?

You are Colonel Henry Moore - Brabazon AICMFP

Yes, 7,000 people a year were being killed on the roads, but it is not always going to be like that. People are getting used to new conditions.

‘Older members of the House will recollect the number of chickens we killed in the early days of motoring. We used to come back with the radiator stuffed with feathers.

‘It was the same with dogs. Dogs get out of the way of motor cars nowadays and you never kill one. There is education even in the lower animals. These things will right themselves.’

Reactions: mjr

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
In "that " situation , whoever is going down stream would have right of way . In reality you would probably both stop and have a beer together . :cheers:
Aha! Is that what inspired @Markymark's approach to greeting oncoming cyclists?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
I'm sure it needs updating. Do we really need handy advice for not snagging peasants in the starting handle?

A friend and colleague knocked all his front teeth out by careless use of a starting handle, so don't joke. Admittedly it was on a pice of forestry machinery, but the warning is valid.

Top Bottom