Does refitting a rear wheel slacken the chain...?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Can anyone find the Sheldon Brown link for detailed instructions?
I had a look on his website and ended up going round in circles.

Don't tell me Mr.Brown had the same misgivings as me about doing this job...

PatrickPending

Legendary Member
Hi, there's a guide here

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=48

its pretty easy to do, at the same time look at the jockey wheels on the Derailleur - also worth looking at front sprocket tho that's probably ok. Worth getting one of those tools to measure your chain for wear - so you can replace the chain before it starts to wear out the casette.

oh heres the Sheldon Brown page

http://sheldonbrown.com/k7.html

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Refitting is the same as removing, you won't need the chain whip as you'll be tightening the lockring clockwise, which is the 'drive' direction, so the freehub will hold it.

U

User482

I always put the QR back in to hold the cassette lockring remover firmly in place - you don't want it slipping - the hand/ cassette teeth interface really hurts.

giant man

fossyant said:
Refitting is the same as removing, you won't need the chain whip as you'll be tightening the lockring clockwise, which is the 'drive' direction, so the freehub will hold it.
Excellent just wanted to double check before I went ahead thanks! :8:

Tynan

Veteran
'essential items for a bike'

really? from my experience of wear and replacement on the oily bits, the LBS can do it, I ain't spending £30 on tools I might use once a year tops

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
As luck would have it, a friend in the office has the tools I need and he's let me borrow them! If I can successfully do the fix, I think I'll get my own tools for next time.

fossyant

Tynan - running three bikes means I need the tools - no monkey in a shop is being let loose on my bikes, and over 22 years, it's not a tall order to collect the stuff - multiply that by LBS visits... = not cheap.

It also means you can fettle and adjust things at the slightest noise - but I have OCD as far as the bikes are concerned.... :8: I quite often strip the cassette and clean it and refit (x 3 bikes)

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
fossyant...are the 9-spd casettes all the same 'type' as far as how they fit onto the bike is concerned? or are there different types?

fossyant

Yep - all Hyperglide - just make sure you get a shimano for your bike !

Varying grades of cassette - more money the better finish/lighter weight.

U

User482

Tynan said:
'essential items for a bike'

really? from my experience of wear and replacement on the oily bits, the LBS can do it, I ain't spending £30 on tools I might use once a year tops

Most of my bike tools are many years old - they have repaid the investment several times over.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
fossyant said:
Yep - all Hyperglide - just make sure you get a shimano for your bike !

Varying grades of cassette - more money the better finish/lighter weight.
Thanks again, but I'm confused already by the different options available.
Take this one for example. What does 12-23, 12-25 etc mean? Which one's for me?!

It looks too complicated.

OP
OP
Maz

Maz

Guru
Ah! Is that the number of teeth on the smallest/highest gear & the largest/slowest gear, perhaps?

col

Legendary Member
If you were happy with the one you have,just count the teeth on the largest and smallest spocket and get the same,the higher the number the longer the pedal stroke,so the quicker you go without spinning out,if thats a problem you have had?

Top Bottom